Chapter 4 - Darlin'

Thanks for waiting guys! I would love to see who you think should portray Ryder and Nora. Post a pic on my Facebook page and it may just be posted as the character pic!

Thanks!

If someone would have told me I would be going to lunch with New York's...probably the world's... most domineering, rich and successful bachelor, I would have slapped them across the face and committed them to a mental institution. While I knew I was attractive, and no I am not narcissistic, I knew that I was not Ivy League standards. I didn't come from old money, I didn't come from money at all... I would never be able to tell the difference between a Gucci or Pucci. The closest I got to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was through a Good Charlotte concert.

Like right now, when I attempted to open the car door myself and a man slid in beside me, beating me to the handle with a smile on his face. "I got that for you Miss!" And while he had every good intention, I couldn't help but let a feeling of hate drip through my veins when Mr. Beckett looked at me, his eyes squinting, probably in embarrassment.

"Thanks." I mumbled and slid into the plush leather of the town car. It was roomy with enough space to let my long legs stretch. I was used to cramping into a small seat on the subway; my knees always bumping somebody. Mr. Beckett slid in beside me and I kept myself reserved as the door shut, enclosing us in yet another small place. I felt my nostrils flare when the scent of his cologne hit me. He smelled like the ocean; frozen and wintery but salty with something else hiding underneath. I resisted the urge to lean closer and find out.

"So where have you kidnapped me to?" I asked, hoping to lighten the mood. My hands were clasped tightly to my knees and I turned slightly to see his face.

"Kidnapped..." he said slowly, putting his black iphone away and giving me his full attention. I was hoping he would have ignored me and continued tapping away at his phone but of course, he does the opposite and actually pays attention to me. I felt myself pale a little and nodded my head.

"You're hardly a child Ms. Strong." he said, his eyes roaming the length of my body. My toes tingled as he let his gaze rest on my exposed calves and I found myself crossing my legs once more.

"No tights?" he questioned. His arm draped lazily over the back of the seat and his fingers were dangerously close to my shoulder.

"Not today no, I don't like the feeling of being so confined." I looked out the window and ignored his mint green eyes staring me down.

"Not yet..." he murmered, his fingers skimming my shoulder. Even through the layers of my coat, i felt a heat sear my skin, making me rub my legs together.

"And to answer your question, we are going to La Carne. It's on East 43rd Street." and just like that he was back to cold and calculating Cassidy.

"Italian?" I asked and he looked at me surprised.

"You understand Italian?" he asked.

"I took French in High School, but Italian isn't so different; one of the three romance languages." I said casually.

"Parlez-vous Francais?" He asked, his accent impeccable. I snapped my head and replied "Oui. Why do you ask...didn't believe me?" I asked crossing my arms and leaning back into the seat, causing almost his whole hand to rest against my shoulder.

"No I didn't. Not many people from Texas learn French... especially in a level 2 school district."

"Well they did. Your accent is perfect." I said. He nodded his head and scratched the scruff starting to grow on his chin.

"The will happen when one is born and raised in France." he said a little aggressively.

"It must have been nice. I could tell you had a slight accent at my interview, but it is barely there." I ignored his rude response.