Chapter Four

The fate of this man rested on her shoulders. She had to make the right choice.
"And what have you decided?"
Every set of eyes in the room scrutinized her face impatiently, waiting to hear the verdict. Was the man to live or die? A very life was putty in her palms. Taking a deep breath, Robin raised her voice to be heard throughout the room.
"I want this angel to live."
The sentence had barely escaped her lips before angels rose to their feet, calling out in protest about how ungodly it was.
Robin chewed on her lip in fear as they all showered her with hateful glares sharp enough to kill, but she stood by her decision.
She flinched as the judge's voice rang out to quiet them all.
"Silence!"
Robin swallowed as the deafening soundlessness fell over them once again. The judge looked to her seriously. "This is truly what you wish? Heaven's court has no room for second chances."
Robin swallowed and tried to stand as strongly as she could manage. "Yes."
She didn't mind that he hadn't saved her all that much... For all she knew, it was just a simple mistake. She couldn't end him over that...
Besides...
She'd seen his face. Robin's eyes could not be fooledー she could see the innocence in his eyes, but also distrust in his heart. She couldn't help but wonder what demons this man had... What heaviness weighed down on his heart?
"Then..." The judge spoke wearily, "The motion is carried. The broken angel lives."
Some unsettling muttering among the audience members.
"But, Robin..."
The girl raised her head to look back at him. "He cannot stay here, for he has sinned. Where do you suppose he goes?"
Her heart was in her throat. Where? Where could he go? She hadn't thought it through...
Her mind was buzzing, and before she knew it her mouth was moving.
"He can stay with me."
Her own words surprised her just as much as they did the rest of the court. With her? What did that mean?
The audience buzzed obnoxiously once more until the judge called back the quiet.
"Miss Cherrywood," he went on quietly. "How might he stay with you?"

"Er... Well, I..."

"The only way that could work... Is if we cast you back to earth."
Robin's eyes grew wide. "Earth...?"
This was a lot to take in... Earth?
"... But you will have had thrown your time in heaven away for all eternity."
Her chest tightened. She could never come back...?
"Isn't there another way to fix this? To stay here?"
The judge sighed heavily. "Miss, we're pushing it enough as it is..."
Robin frowned deeply. No..
"... There is only one other option."
The girl raised her head hopefully. Another way?
"Both of you can remain here in heaven if certain conditions are met."

"Conditions...?"

"An angel who has given in to sin cannot remain in heaven; if he is to stay, he must repent for his sins."

Repent...? "How could he do that?"

"It's hard to say... My suggestion would be to take him down to earth and reteach him."

"Teach him on earth..."

If she could get him to repent for his sins and regain his wings... The both of them could remain in heaven for eternity.
This could work...
She glanced at him. She'd decided. She was going to save this man.
"... I accept."