Prologue

It all began when several villages were pillaged and destroyed and among these unfortunate villages was Ixwood, a remote village where Joan grew up in with her elder sister. Her sister died in the fire when the cottage was set ablaze by Avalonian soldiers and her sister's Fiancé, Caleb was murdered by arrows which pierced his back while they had been trying to escape.

Joan with other captives were taken to Avalon, where they were branded as slaves and she was picked by the Queen of Avalon, Rohesia who liked her at first sight and changed her name to Edwina. Rohesia made the king, her husband pass out a decree that no man was to lay a hand on Edwina and not even the princes could break such a law.

Edwina had one goal though, to take a life for a life which meant, taking the life of Prince Hector, the prince and heir to the throne of Avalon, for her dead sister's, despite the fact that he had saved her from the sword of his younger brother, Cedric, who wanted to kill her for attacking him with a sharp dagger after intercepting her in the woods and preventing her from escaping.

Edwina grew to love Avalon and to accept her fate after she made friends with the chief maid, Helena, with a Knight's bed mate, Katrina, with the royal physician, Cornelius, and with Prince Hector's personal servant, Cyril.

Her world changed when a king, an ally of Avalon visited and that was when a certain change happened in her life and she was handed over to Prince Hector to kill her after she attempted to commit regicide to avenge the death of her late parents several years ago when she was just a child.

        CHAPTER ONE

On the large concrete steps that led into the throne room, King Aragon and Queen Rohesia stood arm in arm, with the two princes, Hector and Cedric standing behind them and the knights and noble subjects of Avalon, ready to welcome the arrival of t...

On the large concrete steps that led into the throne room, King Aragon and Queen Rohesia stood arm in arm, with the two princes, Hector and Cedric standing behind them and the knights and noble subjects of Avalon, ready to welcome the arrival of the cruel king but renowned ally of Avalon, King Tiberius of Theebes Kingdom. They had received news from a sentry that king Tiberius was already in Avalon and was approaching the castle already. The queen felt uneasy but quickly plastered a fake smile anytime her husband glanced her way.

Suddenly the sound of the fanfare was heard, announcing the arrival of King Tiberius and his escorts as the horses and the royal carriage trotted into the courtyard. King Tiberius stepped down from the carriage whose door was opened by one of his men and looked around, taking in the beautiful sight of Avalon's castle for a moment. He walked through the aisle between the noble subjects of Avalon and approached the king and Queen with a broad smile. "Aragon!" He called and both kings clasped their forearms in a firm handshake.

"Tiberius!" King Aragon called back in greeting. "Welcome to Avalon."

"I'm indeed honoured to be here." Tiberius stated as they released each other's arms. He took off his gauntlets and handed it over to his general behind him, before turning to the queen. "My Queen!" He said aloud, taking her hand and pressing a kiss to it. "I must admit that you have grown more beautiful the last time I saw at your own wedding to my friend here." He gestured to Aragon.