Chapter Five

Hector stood in the courtyard dressed casually which was compulsory because it was important that he masked his identity or he wouldn't be able to retrieve the golden chest of Avalon if his true identity was discovered which would only result to series of difficulties and he might not be able to accomplish his quest successfully. He glanced up at the clear blue sky then at his father who stood at the large balcony with his friend, King Tiberius, by his side watching him.

Cyril led his white horse to him, having saddled it and loaded several bags of supplies for Hector's journey. Hector strapped his sword around his waist, patiently waiting for the prisoner to be brought to him. He had slept late last night on an empty stomach and even after the sleep came, it was rather restless so he had given up and stared at the roof of his room all through waiting for the first ray of lights to announce the arrival of dawn.

He patted Cyril's shoulder who had on a glum expression. He knew that Cyril was mad at him for suggesting such a despicable death but there was nothing either of them could do to help Edwina's situation. Cyril looked up at him with eyes that quietly asked questions that Hector couldn't possibly answer, it was of no use. When Hector made no attempts to assure him, he turned away to join the little crowd of sad servants who were dreading the departure of their beloved one but could only gather and watch in quiet.

Hector knew that they also dreaded that he was leaving Avalon. They all respected and loved him. He offered them a small smile that vanished as quickly as it had come. He was in no mood to smile this morning. His younger brother, Cedric and Sir Lyonell approached him and after clasping each of their arms in a firm handshake, he said to his brother. "The weight of Avalon now rests on your shoulder for the time being, Cedric, do look after father."

"You can count on me." Cedric gave him a weak smile which showed that he was not happy about King Tiberius' visit to Avalon which had struck unhappiness in a lot of hearts in such quick a time.

Just then, the doors leading down to the dungeon from the courtyard flung open and out stepped Edwina, her wrists and ankles shackled in chains and she approached him. All heads swerved towards her direction while Hector tried his best to conceal his shock of seeing her this way. The guard who had brought her, roughly shoved her forward so she could hasten her steps and stop wasting his time but the shackles around her ankles could hardly let her walk properly and she stumbled and fell to the ground just beside Hector's feet.

Hector glared at the guard. If it wasn't because of the audience and the presence of the kings, he would have introduced his fist to the guard's jaw. Noticing Hector's displeased look, the guard sheepishly gave him a low bow and retreated quickly. Hector reached down and helped Edwina up from the ground. It was obvious that she didn't want him to touch her and she roughly jerked her arms out of his hold. She turned at the voice of the approaching queen who suddenly seized her in a fierce hug, almost knocking her down. "I'm so going to miss you Edwina." The Queen said sorrowfully. "It will never be the same without you." She clasped the sides of Edwina's face and planted a deep kiss on her forehead then hugged her again with one arm this time. Edwina suddenly felt the queen slip something cold down the side of her left breast but no one else noticed. Edwina looked down between them and saw the head of a key.

The Queen smiled and whispered to her. "It's the key of the shackles, I stole it from the guard's ring of keys and he might not notice until later...once you get your chance, hesitate not, flee without a second thought." She kissed Edwina's cheeks, turned away and sadly walked back into the building without acknowledging the two kings. As far as she was concerned, they didn't exist.