Chapter Four

King Aragon paced about in his room that night, his hands behind him, immersed in his thoughts. The guests had all gradually retired to their homes or quarters and the reception party had ended and he suspected that it was mainly because of the tension in the air concerning the verdict he had passed on Edwina.

His physician, Cornelius, stood aloof watching him silently. They had been friends for long and he had chosen to serve the king with his medical knowledge. He cleared his throat now, already weary of watching the King's endless pace. "My king, I think you should reconsider your judgment. I have known Edwina for years and I can boldly say that, that maiden will never try to murder anyone."

"No!" Aragon stopped pacing. "Tiberius won't stoop so low to give such a demeaning lie about a mere slave."

"Sire..." Cornelius took several steps forward. "please think! Think of what this will do to the queen, your wife if she finds out that you have sentenced her beloved maid to death. It will devastate her."

Aragon sighed. "There is nothing I can do, Cornelius. I can't recede my verdict. Rohesia will have to bear with what her maid has brought upon herself. I will have her maid replaced immediately."

"But my king... I still think you should reconsider your judgement. This girl has done a lot for the royal family. She doesn't deserve to die because King Tiberius needs justice. You could have her exiled, punished one way or the other but not death." Cornelius pressed. "I beg you to temper justice with clemency."

"Don't you get it, Cornelius? She tried to murder a king and you of all people knows the weight of the crime and the deserved verdict for such."

"Death." Cornelius said, a soft expression on his wrinkled face. "But the Edwina I know wouldn't murder a king."

"Enough Cornelius!" The king snapped already rankled with frustration. "I have spoken and there's no going back on my passed judgement, I have given it! I won't let the foolish act of one slave bring my kingdom to ruins...my alliance and friendship with the king of Theebes still stands!" He said steely, his voice brooking no further argument or defiance.

Just then, the doors burst open and Rohesia rushed in. When she sighted her husband, she rushed to him and grabbed the front of his robe, her lower lip trembling, her eyes bloodshot from weeping. "What have you done?! What in the gods' name have you done, Aragon?! First you offered her to that lecherous tyrant and now you have her sentenced to death on his behalf! Why?  Why are you doing this to me!" She cried out hysterically, hitting his chest repeatedly.

Aragon had never seen his wife this angry before and he could only stare. "You would have to take my own life first or kill me along side her!" Rohesia yelled. "She doesn't deserve this! She doesn't deserve to die..." She began to cry again. "She doesn't deserve to die, Aragon!" She suddenly gave a shrieking scream and overturned the table spilling all the contents to the floor. She turned sharply to face him again. "Give me back Edwina, Aragon, give Edwina back to me! She's like a sister to me! I won't let you take her away! I won't let any harm come to her! I hate you for what you have done!" She shoved his chest. "I despise you for doing this to me! May you and Tiberius rot in hell!" She succumbed to tears again and slid down his chest to the floor in resignation, crying while she clutched his leg.

Cornelius watched, confused of what to do. The king attempted to touch his wife and get her off the floor but she yelled fiercely at him. "Do not touch me!"

The king straightened up and sighed. "Guards!" He called and two guards standing at the door walked into the room. "Take the queen to her chambers." He ordered. "And ensure that she isn't allowed out of it until the morrow." He instructed, worried that the queen might do something stupid and make everything more difficult for him.