2

I apparated to the main gates of the old castle and walked the rest of the way. I didn't mind, I didn't have very much to bring with me. Just my travelling cloak and the bag I packed.

I knew that I should have sent a letter first, but I needed to speak to the Headmistress personally. She would be able to tell me what I had to do.

When I got to the great oak doors, I took a deep breath before pushing them open. From there I made my way to the gargoyle that stood guard at the Headmaster's office.

"Miss Granger, welcome back!" The gargoyle said.

I smiled politely and dipped my head in response. "Would you mind telling Professor McGonagall that I'd like to speak with her? It's rather urgent."

Mere moments later, the spiral staircase revealed itself and I made my way up the stone steps.

I was at Hogwarts again. The feeling of the ancient school filled me with a rejuvenating energy, before quickly turning back to a mellow air.

The stone walls felt haunted.

I knocked thrice on the office door. I couldn't remember the last time I was in the round office. As a matter of fact, I couldn't remember if I ever had been.

The door swung open and the former Head of my house pulled me into a tight hug. "Oh, Miss Granger how lovely to see you again."

She invited me into her office and sat in the chair at her desk, across from me. I looked up at all the portraits behind her, they all smiled back at me.

"Now, what can I do for you, Miss Granger?" She asked, happiness evident in her harsh eyes.

I smiled nervously. "I'm here for the post of apprentice. I needed a reason to come back to Hogwarts and it presented itself to me."

Her face fell and I knew that whatever she had to say wasn't going to be good.

"Do you really think it wise?" She asked. "I know what happened that night in the Shrieking Shack."

I looked down and felt a tear roll down the side of my nose. Thank goodness I'd remembered to place a waterproof charm on my wedding makeup or it would have run down my face with all the crying I'd done.

"Please, professor." I pleaded. "I need this. There's nothing for me at the Burrow. I need to be at Hogwarts. I don't know why yet, but something is calling me. I need to be here."

She thought a moment and nodded. "Alright, I'll hire you. But only because I know that you are probably the only person who is smart enough and strong enough to put up with your instructor. I'll send for him now."

I smiled again, though this time it didn't feel forced. I was truly happy for the first time in ages. I scanned the wall behind her again and looked at all the portraits. Something seemed off.

"I thought Harry had requested a portrait of the last Headmaster to be put up in this office, but I don't see one anywhere."

She opened her mouth to give me an answer, but someone behind me got to it first.

"Now why, would I need a portrait if I am still living?" The familiarity of the deep baritone voice was unmistakable, I'd have recognized it anywhere.

I stood from my seat and blinked a few times, not quite believing what I was seeing.

"Professor Snape!" I exclaimed, leaning on the chair for support.

A small smirk appeared at the corner of his mouth, as though he enjoyed my surprise. He was leaning on a tall ebony cane. He was dressed in his usual black attire, but his collar went up higher than it used to, probably to cover up his scars.

"Miss Granger." He said, dipping his head in my direction. "It seems we meet again as student and teacher."

I closed my eyes for a moment. This couldn't actually be happening.

"It's good to see you, sir. You're looking well, uhm, better than when I saw you last." I mumbled.

A chuckle escaped his lips and the sound was music to my ears. Never in the six years he'd taught me had I heard him laugh.

"You're looking a little done up for someone coming to work in the dungeons." The slight tone of humour in his voice was the only sign that he was willing to speak to me at all.

I remembered the makeup I was wearing and the way my hair was done up. "Oh, well, you see, I just came from a wedding."

He nodded, taking in the information. "A friend of yours?" He asked.

I sighed. "No, not quite, sir. It was my own wedding."

He raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. I was grateful for his silence.

It was then that I noticed he was different. He wasn't the same man I knew as a child. His dark hair had a few grey hairs and his eyes were weary. Sharp, but tired.

Then, the realization of the situation sunk in.

I was talking to Severus Snape. The man I attempted to save, but who died anyway. The man who caused me such sadness for two years since the end of the war.

Hyperventilating was uncommon for me, yet here I was doing it.

McGonagall and Snape both looked at me, concern in their eyes.

"Miss Granger, are you alright?" He asked, taking hold of my elbow and trying to bring me back to the present moment.

I shook my head and looked him right in the eye. "So surreal."

Then everything went black.