29

The last time I had visited the ancient house, I had been a prisoner. I had been taken hostage, tortured, taken advantage of, treated horrendously. I couldn't believe I had accepted to attend a gathering at their home, but this time, as a guest.

I gazed up at the facade of the building. It was dark and imposing as ever, but there were fairy lights decorating the edge of the roof, around the windows. Large wreaths adorned the front doors, tinsel shimmering along the main gate. My grip on my escort's arm tightened. The churning in my belly had returned, I felt sick.

He turned to me, slipping a finger beneath my chin, lifting my face so that it was level with his. "We don't have to go in. I can take you back if that is what you desire."

I shook my head quickly. "They are your family." He gave me a look that would have once terrified me, so I quickly continued. "They were the only people you had for so long. I couldn't possibly take that away from you."

He sighed, pulling me into his embrace, kissing me deeply. I felt a smile grace his face as he pressed his lips to mine. When he pulled away, he tucked away a curl that had unsurprisingly escaped. "You're insufferably stubborn." I couldn't help the laugh that escaped me. "You know that?"

I pecked the underneath of his jaw. "So you keep telling me." I walked my fingers up his chest, tugging on his starched collar. I gripped his cravat tightly in my fist, yanking it towards me, him along with it. "You love it."

He groaned, leaning in to nip at my ear. I pushed him away playfully, tucking his shirt back in properly. "You drive me mad, witch."

I giggled, kissing his cheek. "Is that so?"

He rolled his eyes and nudged me toward the door. "We should go in before I change my mind..."

"If you so wish."

He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me in close, before pushing open the large door.

Nothing could have prepared me for the number of people present in the Malfoy's home. There were witches and wizards of all sorts and backgrounds pouring out of every room. The living room was overflowing with partygoers, the entrance hall laced with dignitaries and ministry officials from different countries. I exhaled slowly, calm settling in my body. No one would risk attacking me here. There were too many people. Too many possible witnesses.

I relaxed into Severus' side, leaning into him. He sneaked a peek at me, something sparkling in his eyes. He leaned down to my ear, pressing his lips just beneath it, pulling me a little closer. He pulled me into the throng of people, expertly navigating his way among the crowd, diverting the other guests from his path. He walked surely and confidently, keeping a sure arm around me.

Curious eyes were glued on me, different people trying to place me, figure out who I was and what I was doing there. Honestly, I think I was trying to figure it out as much as they were. We slipped into a study, the scent of candles thick. We came face to face with the house's patron sitting in an armchair, surrounded by a bevvy of attractive women.

We stood before the older man in question, the professor cleared his throat. The blonde looked up and grinned, standing with open arms. "Severus, my old friend! It's been so long."

The men shook hands, exchanging quiet conversation. "You never will change, will you?" Snape scoffed, gesturing to the considerably younger women draped all over his chair. "Your behaviour makes me want to commiserate with your wife."

The man of the house made a face. "Narcissa? She doesn't care. Our entire marriage was one of convenience. Besides," He said, grabbing one of the girl's hands and pulling her to him. She giggled, pressing herself up against him. "It's my birthday. We have an agreement that we turn away from each other for the day to let the other do as they please."