thirteen

T Y P E - chapter thirteen
a/n: TW for racist slurs depicted in this chapter. these are real comments left on a photo that Jordyn Huitema, the white girlfriend of Bayern's black defender Alphonso Davies, posted of them together. They are absolutely disgusting and show that there is still a TON of work to be done when it comes to racism in football, and I feel so grateful that they both have the strength to speak out against this and continue loving one another regardless of what their racist supporters say. Given that they're almost like a more real world version of Marco and Natasha, I thought it would be extremely relevant to include the comments in this chapter, and I especially wanted to use them to highlight that the racism tasha faces in the story truly does exist in real life. Also because of how the media is arranged, I recommend scrolling for this chapter!

December 13 | New York, NY
2 Months Later, Marco Reus and Natasha Clotaire finally confirm their sudden split. What went wrong for the unlikely couple?
80.6k shares

It's been two months since the suspected breakup of Marco Reus and Natasha Clotaire following the unexpected pregnancy of Scarlett Gartmann, Reus's on-off girlfriend of nearly a decade—but only was it a week ago that Reus finally made a public com...

It's been two months since the suspected breakup of Marco Reus and Natasha Clotaire following the unexpected pregnancy of Scarlett Gartmann, Reus's on-off girlfriend of nearly a decade—but only was it a week ago that Reus finally made a public comment on the popular controversy. In a brief statement during his most recent press conference, the footballer explained:

"Natasha and I have decided to go different directions in life and thus we have ended our relationship. It's a very personal topic that has nothing to do with football or my performance, so I ask that you continue to respect our privacy. I'll always cherish Natasha, and I have no doubt that I'm a better man because of her presence in my life. I hold no judgment against her and insist that the media and my supporters do the same. I truly wish her nothing but the best."

Marco, who turned 31 this year, met Natasha, 24, while she worked as a bartender at Cocaine, a popular nightclub in Dortmund

Marco, who turned 31 this year, met Natasha, 24, while she worked as a bartender at Cocaine, a popular nightclub in Dortmund. While Reus is a German native with a Russian mother, Natasha was born in the Ivory Coast to a French/Moroccan father and Egyptian/Sudanese mother. After going public, both Marco and Natasha did their due diligence in combatting racism; using their platforms to raise awareness and raise money for the Black Lives movement. Natasha, however, has comfortably discussed her disappointment at the lack of black WAGs in the sport, and has received widespread criticism for attributing the absence of black WAGs to implicitly racist biases on behalf of the athletes.