Chapter Twelve

"Something is off," Steve said slowly.

"Daddy, why must everything be 'off'," Caty asked.

"But whenever I say something is 'off,' I'm usually right," Steve pointed out.

"That us true," Caty nodded. "But sometimes I wish you were wrong."

"Believe me," Steve said sadly, "I do too."

"Speaking of which," she said picking up the laundry she had just folded. "Do you know exactly how Natasha and Hilde are doing?"

"They just met two days ago," Steve answered. "I doubt they have even gotten to know each other much. Natasha isn't very trusting."

"That I know," she laughed. "Jennie! Come brush your teeth before bed."

"Yes, ma'am!" Jennie yelled cheerfully.

"She is a bundle of joy," Steve chuckled. "Reminds me of you at that age."

"And I'm not a bundle of joy now?" Catalina teased.

"I think your a matured bundle of joy," Steve said searching for something to save him from the predicament.

"Dad, I'm just teasing," she laughed.

"Have you found her family yet?" Steve asked.

"No," Caty said turning instantly sad.

"What's wrong?" He said giving her a fatherly look.

"Part of me wants her to be reunited with her parents but the other part of me wants her to stay with us," Caty said.

"You want to adopt her?"

"Yes," she nodded. "I think Johann and I have both agreed that we will adopt her if we can't find her family."

They both looked to the door as they heard the door handle rattle.

"Cat," They heard Johann say from outside. "The key is stuck again."

Caty sighed and maneuvered through her small living room to the door. She opened the door to a very tired looking Johann.

"I am starting to warm up to the idea of moving," Johann said leaning against the door frame.

"Want me to get the key out?" Steve asked.

"No, the last time you did that, the key broke and I had to replace the whole door handle," Johann smirked. "Besides you and are have the same strength."

"I think I'm stronger," Steve challenged.

"Do you now," Johann challenged back.

"Hey!" Caty said. "Am I going to get ignored here?"

"Sorry, my dear," Johann said giving her a small peck on the lips.

"That is just disgusting," Steve shivered.

"What? Are we in elementary school now?" Johann quipped.

"Johann!" Jennie yelled happily.

"Well, hello!" Johann shouted. He picked Jennie up and swung her around. She giggled.

"Quite being cute, Johann," Steve grumbled. "You're going to make me like you."

"That is the closest thing to a compliment I've ever gotten from you," Johann said. "Though cute isn't exactly what I was hoping for."

"How was work?" Jennie asked Johann in her adorable little voice.

"It was good for once," Johann laughed. "Hey, what are you still doing awake?"

"Cat said I could stay up until you got home," She smiled. "She said you would tuck me in."

"Well, we wouldn't want to break that promise would we," he smiled. "Let's go tuck you in."

Johann left the room with Jennie still in his arms. Caty smiled after them.

"And you didn't like him," Caty pointed at her dad.

"Can you hardly blame me? He tried to blow up the world," Steve said. "I have to admit though, he's changed for the better. I'm pretty sure you changed him too."

***********************************

"We know this thing works," Tony said. "So let's try it on some others."

"This sounds like a fun mission," Natasha said pulling her gloves on. "High possibility of death with screaming, nearly indestructible mutants trying to claw our heads off. I like it."

"So I'm staying here," Bruce said. "This isn't a code green."

"Be ready though," Steve said. "You never know when you may be called."

"What is this?" Johann asked looking at the two short swords that Tony had given him. "These don't seem very effective."

"Wow. Wow," Tony said. "These are two short swords that I designed. I designed. They will keep you safe."

"Not unless they have a built in shield," Johann said skeptically.

"Of course they do," Tony said throwing his hands to the side.

"Wait, you're kidding right?" Johann asked.

"No," Tony said. "These are made with a metal that can sharpen to such a fine point that it can cut you just by your looking at it."

"And they have a shield?"

"All you have to do is spin them quickly in front of you and the shield will activate for as long as you have them in front of you. Not to mention they have cool looking blue things running down the blade."

"Do the blue things do anything?" Johann asked.

"No, they just look cool," Tony said giving him a pat on the back.

"Okay, they sound cool," Johann conceded.

"Good man," Tony said. "Now, let's go  hunt some mutants."

A/n- It has been a LONG time since I updated. I apologize from the depth of my heart! Hope you enjoyed! I should have the next chapter out sometime in the next two weeks. It'll be a cool chapter with lots of fighting! :D -LMI