Chapter Thirteen

"We are approaching the target," Tony called back.

"Everyone ready?" Natasha asked.

"I'm still not sure about these swords," Johann said. "I'm much better with a gun."

"We aren't killing unless we have too," Steve said pulling one his glove.

They all had vials of the serum on cross holders across their back and chest. They should have plenty to change enough back for now. Shield had the Helacarrier nearby to pick up those cured.

"On my command," Steve said. He opened the doors in the center of the ship.

"Friday, you're my copilot," Tony said.

"Affirmative, sir," the robotic female voice said back.

"Now!" Steve yelled.

The bay doors opened and he jumped straight out of the plane. Johann looked after him.

"I see he does that too," he said before jumping.

"What is with these super soldier guys? Flying suits are so much cooler," Tony said flying out the door.

"Don't forget my boys," Black Widow called after them.

"You're supposed to jump so I can catch you and look cool," she heard Tony's voice say over the com link.

"Fine," she said jumping from the plane.

She landed softly in Tony's robotic arms and was sped towards her target sight.

Johann and Steve, meanwhile, were running towards their target sight.

"Is this how you infiltrated my Hydra bases," Johann asked when they stopped.

"More or less," Steve nodded. "Except your men weren't nearly unkillable mutants."

"My men weren't exactly human either," he said. Steve looked at him funny but didn't answer.

"Shall we continue towards our target?" Johanna asked after a brief silence.

"You haven't lost any of your accent," Steve said before taking off again.

"And what is wrong with my accent?" Johann asked keeping up with him.

"It's too German."

"Well, I am German after all," Johann retorted.

"Cap' we have a slight problem," Tony said through the com.

"Now what?" Steve asked with annoyance.

"We seem to have hit the jackpot," Tony said. "Except, instead of a bunch of money that I don't need; it's a buttload of mutants."

"Isn't that what we were trying to find?" Steve asked.

"Not this many," Tony replied.

"Well, if we get started there won't be as many," Steve said taking off towards the mutant base.

Steve ran forward. As soon as he stepped into the open, he was surrounded. Johann wasn't far behind but had been cut off from Steve by several of the disgusting creatures.

Johann looked around carefully. He pulled two of the vials from their holders and held them tightly. This didn't seem like an efficient way to distribute this but Banner was working on something that they could use later.

"Why aren't they attacking," Steve asked.

"I don't know," Johann said. "It is a possibility that they don't know whether we are a threat. They have been reduced to mere animals, after all."

"Should he attack?" As soon as Steve said that one of the bolder ones lunged at him. He spun out of the way and stabbed the creature in the neck with on of the serums. It yelled in pain and lay still.

"It will take a moment to mutate," Johann said. "Let's get as many of these as we can." 

"Look cool while you're doing it," Tony said through the comlink. "This whole thing is going on YouTube later."

"What is a YouTube?" Johann asked.

"Come on! Even I know that," Steve teased.

"You might want to pay attention to the thing coming up on your left," Johann said, pointing and ignoring the Captain's comment.

"Right," Steve nodded. Steve jumped up. The animal snapped at Steve's legs. Johann brought the vial down into the mutant's neck. It squealed and then fell over.

"Well, played," Steve nodded to Johann.

"I always play well," Johann said.

Steve coughed into his hand, "Hydra bases. What? Who said that?"

"Boys, boys," Natasha said. "Play nice."

The Widow made a sudden appearance over the top of the hill. She landed gracefully on top of two mutants. She brought down two vials into their necks. She smirked.

"She knows that she looks cool," Tony said. "Can I have a turn now?"

*******************************

"So what exactly are you working on?" Catalina asked Bruce.

"I'm trying to figure out how to make the serum work as an airborne antidote," he answered.

"English please?" Jennie said sarcastically.

Caty and Bruce both looked at the little girl for a moment and then burst into laughter. Jennie smiled. She had gotten her cuteness across.

"Can you imagine how sarcastic your baby is going to be," Bruce chuckled. "It will have some Steve, Johann, and Caty in it."

"Don't remind me," Caty laughed.

"So why do you guys do this?" Hilde asked.

"Why do we do what?" Catalina asked.

"Why do you bother saving people?"

"Because it's the right thing to do," Bruce said. He looked back down at his microscope.

"Half the people you save are terrible people," Hilde pointed out.

"And some of them are amazing people," Caty said, raising an eyebrow at her. "And a lot of those 'terrible people' get a second chance from us."

"But what if they don't change?" Hilde asked.

"Then that's between them and their Creator," Bruce said, looking at her over the top of his glasses. "Why does it matter to you?"

"I'm just trying to understand you guys," Hilde shrugged. She then turned and walked out of the room.

"I'm getting a weird vibe," Caty said.

"Me too," Bruce nodded. "But I'm going to ignore it for now and get back to work."

I have been gone for a long, long time. I apologize to all those who have been waiting as long as a year of more. I've had a lot going on. Working full time and going to college is crazy.....plus I may have been working on some different books. Basically I hit a writer's block....but I'm back! Hope you enjoyed! -LMI