three

After we'd arranged all of Layla's books in her and Zak's shared apartment room, she lent me one of her t-shirts which fit me and I folded up Caine's sweatshirt. Layla said that she would go to the infirmary and get her books, while I decided that I would find Caine and return his hoodie.

I decided that I would check the lobby. I walked down into the lobby. A few people were openly staring at me and I was a bit creeped out. I think it was because of the Caine incident.

When people had talked about Caine, I thought he was some guy who was about as old as my Dad with scars on his face, never smiling all that jazz. But when he turned out to be a guy my age and he seemed to be laughing, I had some trouble believing.

My dad was still seated with the two buff guys. As if sensing my precise, he looked up at me. I headed in his direction.

"Yes, sweetheart?" He questioned.

"Do you, um, possibly know, um, where I could find – uh – Caine?" I squeaked out the last bit.

"Caine?" Dad asked, frowning. "Caine Ravenna?"

"Yeah, Dad." I answered, suddenly nervous.

"He should be outside; in the backyard I think." He said, suspicion pooling in his eyes. One of the buff guys, coughed, which suspiciously sounded like a covered up laugh and I turned to see the other one grinning at the ground.

I narrowed my eyes at them. The grinning one looked up at me. "I'm Jackson, Caine's Beta." He held out his hand for me to shake. When I didn't reach out to shake it, he pulled his hand backward and the other guy chuckled.

"He mentioned your little encounter in the morning." The guy who chuckled spoke up. My face flamed up in embarrassment.

"Oh yeah, that." I said, biting my lip. "Anyway, see you around." I nodded my head and left through the backdoor. That conversation was extremely awkward and I didn't want to stay there anymore. I was sure to be bombarded with questions from my Dad once I was home.

I bunched up the sweatshirt under my arm and walked through the backyard. There was a huge pool in the center with teenagers swimming about in them.

Some girls in bikinis were sunbathing on the grass and guys were ogling over them. I rolled my eyes. I looked around the backyard for Caine. He was bound to be around here somewhere. My eyes found Caine sitting at the long outdoor-table with Alpha Reuben. They had many sheets of paper spread out in front of them and Caine was vigorously signing all the papers.

I decided that it had to be something serious, so I sat down onto one of the beach chairs. Alpha Reuben was busy talking on the phone. As if sensing my gaze, Caine looked up at me. He had an intense look in his eyes as he held my gaze. My heart was thundering in my chest and the butterflies erupted yet again.

I looked away after a few seconds and pulled out my phone from my pocket to appear busy. I found that I had a few texts from my cousin in Italy. My mother was from Italy and her family was huge back there. My parents had eloped when my Dad had gone to Italy to help out my mom's pack during a war crisis.

Mom's family had initially been pissed when they found out, but when Layla was born, they instantly forgave mom. Now they doted on all us kids.

I texted with my cousin for a bit. He was really nice and funny guy and his Italian accent is epic. I looked up and found Caine's gaze on me again. Alpha Reuben was chattering off about something to him, but his attention was fixed on me. He stood up and started heading in my direction. Alpha Reuben was staring at him dumbfound.

Some of the girls who sunbathing pointed at him and giggled. Oblivious to them all, he was looking at me with an inquisitive look and was walking forward. I bit my lip nervously and looked down; my shoulder-length black hair fell forward, hiding my face. I looked back down at my phone. I had received a few more texts from my cousin and I was typing back a reply, when a shadow fell over me. I looked up, still biting my lip.