t w e n t y o n e

Presley followed quietly behind Aaron, her eyes flicking back and forth as she studied the little civilization. It was a lot. Going from nothing to having daily showers and a warm meal from an oven was a lot. 

And Rick's group didn't trust it. 

She understood, of course. She had no right to say that anybody had trust issues when she was probably the worst of them. Still, she hoped that Rick would get his head on straight and see the opportunities that the walls offered. 

Deanna had welcomed them into her home, so she could only pray that he didn't spoil it for the rest of the group.

"This is the food pantry." He motioned to the building with a small wave of his hand. "There's not much, but we're good for a few months."

"I can help with the runs." She offered swiftly. 

He smiled. "I've been told you tend to be rebellious and that you wouldn't be good for runs."

She stopped short, her eyes narrowing and her nose scrunching, "What the hell? By who--." She rolled her eyes childishly when she realized who had said that-- the only person who would be an overprotective fool. "Daryl."

All Aaron had to do was remain silent to confirm. 

"I'm still going." She said bitterly, continuing to walk the direction they'd previously been heading. 

"Oh I don't know if I should let you... He's pretty scary..." She whirled to him.

Instead of looking serious, he was grinning like an idiot. "Kidding, kidding." He teased. "You're far more scary than he is." 

"That's what I thought." She said, turning away. 

"And this is where we keep the weapons." They stopped before another building. 

"Good to know." She hummed. 

"Don't get any ideas." He warned. "We always have somebody on guard. Only a single weapon is given to a single person going outside. Besides... We don't have much for ammo."

"I wasn't planning on stealing anything." Presley grumbled. "I just like to know where my stuff is in case of emergency."

"Emergency?" He chuckled. "I don't think there will be an emergency any time soon."

"You've been sheltered from the world, Aaron." Presley said calmly as they continued to walk. "The roamers aren't the only thing you have to worry about anymore. Hell, I don't find the roamers to be half as scary as the people."

"I've seen more than you think, Presley" He retorted. "These people are sheltered, but I'm not."

"We'll see."

- - -

"Where's Presley?" Rick said as he approached Daryl, who was taking the time to skin some rodent with a sharp kitchen blade. 

"With Aaron." Daryl grumbled bitterly, not even bothering to look up. 

"I think they knew each other... You know, before she found us." Rick said quietly. 

Daryl had sensed this. Upon first seeing him, Presley had reacted in an abnormal way; even abnormal for her. He was used to her strange reactions, and he knew one when he saw it. She knew him. 

Daryl hated it.

The last thing he needed was another Stefan; another asshole to fall in love with her and shatter her heart. She'd broken Stefan, but saving people was no easy task when they were already cracked to begin with. She'd learned that the hard way, unfortunately, and all Daryl could do was watch.

"I know."

Just as he breathed those words, Presley came walking back. Her eyes were downcast as she walked, trained on the joyous dog bounding before her. Aaron walked beside her, a smile splayed on his face as he continued to laugh at something she had said. Though shadows covered her face, Daryl could recognize the hint of joy on her face that people didn't know her wouldn't recognize. His grip on the knife tightened. 

"I wish she wouldn't trust them." Rick mumbled. 

"She doesn't." Daryl said. "She doesn't trust anybody."

"She trusts you." 

"Nah." He forced himself to look away, back to the bloody rodent in his hands. "She doesn't even trust 'erself."

"I think she trusts more than we know." Rick defended her calmly. "She just doesn't show it the same way that we do." He stepped to the end of the porch, watching the pair walking for one last moment before he yelled, "Presley!"

She looked up, a dark eyebrow arching over her blue eyes; they looked crystal in the sunlight. She squinted, covering her eyes to gaze at the porch. Daryl forced himself to look away once more. 

"C'mere." Rick said, motioning for her. She said one last thing to Aaron before she bounded up the steps, the dog following closely at her heels. 

"Hmm?" She questioned, looking between Daryl and Rick. 

"I think you should stay closer... I don't think you should wander so far from base."

"Base?" She scoffed. "Seriously, Rick. We aren't doing these people a favor by being here; they're doing us a favor by letting us stay. Give them a little trust."

"Do you not remember Terminus?"

"I damn well remember Terminus." She snapped. "But I also know that there are still good people out there. I'm willing to give them a chance."

"Your father made a good point, honey. You're too trusting." Rick chided gently. 

Something within Presley snapped. Her eyes narrowed, her entire body stiffened. "If my father was right, then I never should have trusted you guys." She stepped off the porch, shaking her head. 

"Pres." Daryl said, standing up. She paused, her back still to them. "Where ye going?" 

"Out." Her voice was softer when she spoke to Daryl. It was always like that... Again, something most people wouldn't notice. "Don't worry about me." 

Ello darlings. This took a little longer than what I meant. It's end of the year so everything is crazy at school. I want summer, but I'm kind of scared for this year to be over xD 

Alright. So I have the next 2 chapters written. Do you want them, my little savages? I am sure you do. All you have to do is comment and tell me how much you want them and they will be posted within the next few days

ilysm. all of you. I wish I could tell you how much your comments mean to me; how much your support means to me. Thank you.