8-Plot ft. Pete's Chicken Nuggets

Frank's shoulder slumped with exhaustion as he exited the elementary school, exhausted and fed up with kindergarteners. I will never have kids, he decided, Melanie's loud and irrational crying still wringing in his ears. His hands were stained with faded ink from washable markers, and dried glue peeled from his fingertips.

He squinted as he stepped into the sunlight that was blinding in comparison to the softer lighting of Gee's classroom. His hand flew over his eyes to shield them from the sudden brightness. A voice from behind him caused him to turn around, bewildered.

"Frank?" Gee said, jogging to catch up with him. "You seemed pretty eager to leave."

Frank shrugged and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I'm tired, I guess." Gee's expression turned somewhat crestfallen and she frowned at the ground. "What is it?" Frank asked.

"Just... I don't know, it sounds stupid now, and you're tired and should probably go home... But, I was wondering if you'd like to come over to my house for dinner? Mikey seems to like you, and my mom is making lasagna..."

She trailed off awkwardly and her eyes darted elsewhere. Frank's eyes wandered across her porcelain skin, illuminated with the faintest blush; the smudged mascara under her eyes that only made them seem softer and larger. Her forehead was creased with worry lines, and as Frank studied her in more detail, he realized she looked exhausted and worn down.

"I'd love to," he agreed readily, a smile stretching across his face despite himself, because when he said yes, Gee smiled too, her worry lines replaced by the small crinkles of happiness. A bubbly feeling filled Frank's chest, because he was the reason she was smiling, and he had created that happiness.

"I'll text you my address," she stated, her hands smoothing down her skirt reflexively. "And I guess maybe six would be a good time? I don't know." She became oddly fixated with a spot on the floor, and her cheeks were flushed.

Frank reached out and rested a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'll be there. And don't be nervous. It's not like it's a date or anything." He tried to avoid his voice being infringed on by bitterness, even as Gee joined him in laughing mechanically.

"Okay," she said, glancing behind her. "I should probably go. Bye, Frank, I'll see you tonight." And she reached towards Frank with her arms extended. For only a second, the thought crossed Frank's mind that maybe she was going to kiss him, until she turned her head to the side, and it was just a hug. Not that hugging Gee was a bad thing, it was just that Frank found kissing significantly more enjoyable.

"Goodbye," he said, trying to keep the disappointment out of his time as he walked away from her towards his car.

~~~

Frank felt unnatural and uncomfortable in the dark grey button down that he had, in all honesty, stolen from Alex's closet because he needed something decent to wear. And while his black skinny jeans were hardly classy clothing, this pair at least weren't stained with orange powder from the cheese puffs he always managed to spill onto his clothing.

He stared at his reflection, wondering what Gee would think. Did it look like he was trying too hard? Or was it not enough? Should he add a tie? He brushed his hair back and tucked the most forward facing pieces behind his ears. His hair was too long; what if Gee's parents didn't approve?

And then, of course, he checked the time and realized that if he wanted to be at all punctual, he had to leave right then. So he grabbed his leather jacket and raced out of the apartment to his car, put the address Gee had given him into his phone, and began driving.