19 → "OLD FRIEND"

19 "OLD FRIEND"

AT THE MENTION of Gally, Adeline's blood boiled. Gally was never fond of her, and she wasn't of him. After everything he had done, it was safe to say that she hated the guy. Brenda and Jorge told the three of the that they'd started working for WICKED in plenty of time to know who Gally was, and how he'd been an outcast back in the Glade and everything he had done.

"It can't possibly be him." Brenda said.

"Why not?" Thomas asked. "What happened to him after we were taken away? Did he ..."

"Die? No. He spent a week or so in the infirmary, recovering from a broken cheekbone. But that was nothing compared to the psychological damage." Brenda explained. "They used him to kill Chuck because the Psychs thought the patterns would be valuable. It was all planned. They forced Chuck to move in front of you."

Adeline felt sick; that Chuck was forced to move in front of Thomas, and that he'd died because of it. It was another reason why Adeline hated WICKED.

"I heard that one of the Psychs designed the interaction to be a Variable not just for you and the Gladers who witnessed it, but ... but also for Chuck during his last few moments." Brenda continued.

Adeline clenched her teeth, wanting the discussion about Chuck being controlled by WICKED, to be over. She didn't want to be reminded of his death. Didn't want to think about the thirteen year old boy dying in Thomas' arms. Adeline placed a reassuring hand to Thomas' shoulder. The boy peered back at her and gave a slight nod.

"Nothing surprises me anymore." was all Thomas said.

"Gally's mind couldn't handle what he'd done." Brenda said. "He went completely nuts and they had to send him away. I'm sure they figured no one would ever believe his story."

"So why do you think this can't be him?" Thomas asked.

"Maybe he got better, found his way here." Brenda shook her head. "Look, anything's possible. But I saw the guy — it was like he had the Flare. He was trying to eat chairs and spitting and yelling and ripping his own hair out."

"I saw him, too." Jorge added. "He got past the guards one day. He ran through the halls naked, screaming at the top of his lungs about beetles in his veins."

"I wonder what he means by the Right Arm." Thomas replied.

Jorge answered him. "There are rumors about them all over the place. It's supposed to be an underground group bent on taking down WICKED."