22 → "OUT OF MY HEAD"

22 "OUT OF MY HEAD"

"THOMAS, THEY'VE got you!" Brenda yelled. "Fight it!"

Thomas' hand pushed her face away, sending her tumbling to the floor, having no control of his actions. Jorge went to protect her but Thomas reached out and punched him in the chin.

"I can't ... let you ... do this!" The words were being forced out of his mouth. Brenda had gotten back to her feet. Minho stood dazed, confusion planted on his face. Jorge was wiping the blood off his chin, and Adeline was standing beside Minho, trying to think up of something to stop Thomas. Thomas started moving toward the door, shoving Minho out of the way. As Thomas got to the kitchen counter, he reached out and grabbed a knife.

"Thomas!" Minho shouted. "Fight it, man! Get those shuck people out of your head!" Thomas turned to face him, holding the knife up.

"You gonna kill me, slinthead?" Minho asked. "Gonna throw that thing just like Gally did to Chuck? Do it, then. Throw it."

For a moment, Adeline feared this was what was going to happen — Thomas being unable to prevent WICKED from making him throw the knife at Minho — but, instead Thomas turned back around to face the opposite direction. Thankfully, Hans came through the doorway. Hans eyes widened. Adeline finally understood what was going on; WICKED was trying to get Thomas to kill Hans.

"What the hell is this?" Hans asked.

"I can't ... let you ... do this." Thomas replied.

"I was worried about this." Hans murmured. He turned to the group. "You guys get over here and help!"

The group attempted to fight off Thomas' protest, but he kept trying to fight them, clenching his teeth. Thomas was clutching the knife in his fist. "I ca —"

Before he could finish, Minho slammed into him from behind, knocking the knife from his hand. Both crashed to the floor. "I'm not letting you kill anybody."

"Get off me!" Thomas yelled. Minho had Thomas's arms pinned to the ground. He hovered over him, heaving to catch his breath. "I'm not getting up until they let your mind go."

"It won't stop until Hans fixes him." Brenda said. "Hans?"

Hans knelt down next to Thomas and Minho. "I can't believe I ever worked for those people. For you."

Although he was staring down at Thomas, Adeline knew he was talking directly to WICKED. Thomas tried to fight Minho, trying to get his friend off of him, but Minho pressed down, trying to get his legs in a position to sit on Thomas' back. Suddenly, Thomas managed to throw Minho off of him. Thomas was on his feet before anyone else could stop him, and he grabbed the knife off the floor and dove toward Hans, lashing out with the knife. Hans deflected it with his forearm, then the two of them collided and rolled across the floor. As Thomas kept slashing at Hans, he kept dodging it.