39 → "HAVE TO GET OUT"

39 "HAVE TO GET OUT"

THOMAS SHOWED THE others the letter. It only took a few moments for them all to agree to abandon the Right Arm and set off on their own. Into the Maze. Brenda looked at Thomas' map and said she knew exactly how to get there before handing him a knife. They slipped out of the side room and headed for the double doors while Vince and the others yelled at them, called them crazy, told them they'd get killed within minutes. Thomas was the first one through, and he crouched. The others fell in behind him, and they all started sprinting down the first long hallway. They turned a corner, went down a flight of stairs. Took a shortcut through an old storage room, down another long hallway. Down more stairs. A right and then a left.

Thomas started keeping an eye out for danger, but had only gone three more steps, when out of nowhere someone was on top of him, gripping his shoulders and throwing him to the ground. Someone knocked Minho to ground, as did Brenda. Someone knocked Adeline down too. It was dark and Adeline could barely see who had knocked her down, but she punched and kicked. Adeline tried to jab the person in the gut with her knee, attempted to punch the person in the face by getting her wrist free enough to get her hand balled into a fist and throw a punch. Then they started rolling, hitting a wall, then nearly bumped into another pair of people fighting. Adeline finally got free enough to punch the person in the face. There was a scream to her left, a women. The person she was fighting grunted each time her fist connected to their face, but she had still yet to know if it was a man or women fighting against her.

Finally, the person she was fighting screamed in agony, and Adeline realised her hand was starting to throb. Her knuckles had started to bleed, and the person screamed again in agony, muttering the words "my nose!" over and over. It turned out she'd been fighting a woman and she had managed to probably break her nose. Adeline stood, where she found Thomas. Minho was straddling a man, the guy showing no resistance. Brenda and Jorge had teamed up on another guard, and Teresa, Harriet, and Aris were leaning against a wall, catching their breath.

"Come on!" Thomas yelled. "Minho, leave him!"

Minho threw another couple of punches for good measure, then stood up, giving his guy one last kick. "I'm done. We can go."

The group turned and kept running. They ran down another long flight of stairs and stumbled one by one into the room at the bottom. Adeline realised where they were. It was the chamber that housed the Griever pods, the room they'd found themselves in after they escaped from the Maze. The observation room windows were still shattered. Brenda pointed out the ladder that led up to where they needed to go.

"Why isn't anybody here?" Minho asked. He turned in a circle, searching the place. "If they're holding people in there, why no guards?"