♪ Chapter 27 ♪

Ariel stepped into the hair salon Tuesday afternoon with Evangeline on her hip and a purse over her shoulder. It's been years since she's been to a hair salon, last time was on her eighteenth birthday. Today, she decided she wanted a new look and after paying bills, buying groceries and buying Evangeline some new clothes, she had enough left to treat herself and what was better than getting your hair professionally done?

"Why are we here, mommy?"

"We're here because I want to change the color of my hair," Ariel replied then looked at her. "sound like fun?"

"But I like red, mommy." Evangeline pouted, gently stroking Ariel's hair.

"I know sweetheart, but maybe you'll like the new color better."

Ariel got comfortable in the black leather chair while keeping her eyes on Evangeline who wasn't far from her. The woman who approached Ariel was kind of young with pastel pink short curly hair. She stood behind Ariel and smiled.

"Hi, I'm Scarlet. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I found a picture of what I wanted because it's kind of hard for me to describe."

"Oh that's perfect!" she exclaimed with a smile and while Ariel scrolled through her phone looking for the picture she saved to her gallery Scarlet was covering Ariel's clothes with a black plastic sheet. After showing Scarlet the picture of honey golden brown and blonde ombre hair, Scarlet began getting the dye ready.

"Is that your daughter?"

Ariel looked at Evangeline who sat on a white chair against the wall, looking around while kicking her legs back and forth. Ariel was so relieved that she was being so well behaved.

"Yes," Ariel replied proudly. "her name is Evangeline."

"Evangeline is an adorable name," she said. "I was asking because she's being so good, most kids aren't that well behaved."

"I think I may just be lucky today."

Scarlet laughed and they fell silent while Scarlet began putting the dye in and afterwards she walked away. Once Ariel was left alone, Evangeline got up and ran towards her with a smile.

"What's in your hair, mommy?"

"It's hair dye, it's changing my hair color." Ariel explained, pushing the strands of hair out of Evangeline's eyes.

"Cool!"

Ariel smiled and while Evangeline looked up at her while putting her weight against her mother's legs, Ariel heard her cell phone begin ringing from her purse.

"I'll get it, mommy."

Evangeline dug through Ariel's purse until she found the pastel pink phone, she handed it to Ariel immediately with a smile.

"Thank you sweetheart," she looked at the number and realized she didn't know it and she thought about avoiding it but changed her mind. "hello?"

"This is Ariel, right?"

"This is she." she replied and the person on the other line exhaled loudly.

"I dialed your number wrong four times, it's Troy."

"Troy, hey. How have you been?"

Ariel was surprised to get a call from him, she had actually forgotten that she gave him her number.

"Alright," he replied. "how have you been?"

"Good, thank you."

"Uh," Troy began apprehensively. "are you busy tonight?"