Prologue

Second draft of the prologue of Lady of Silences. In which we meet the main characters and witness a defining moment in their lives. 4,700 words.

Kerron drew his cloak tighter against his chest as he walked out of the manor. It was difficult to balance the large pine frame kite in his left hand and walk through the half-open door, but he made sure to close it tight behind him as he exited. When there were guests, his father was especially strict about keeping the door latched He stopped a moment to adjust the platinum lion broach closed on his cloak, freeing up a hand to help maneuver the canvas kite. The broach had been a tenth birthday gift from Marquis Kiant, and Kerron made sure to wear it proudly now that they were visiting the Marquis' manor. Standing a little taller he drew his shoulders back and climbed down the stone steps to the garden.

"Master Kerron, is that you?" The head gardener waved at him and put down his trowel. "Got'cher self a kite, eh?" Kerr nodded as the man stooped to pull a small root vegetable from the ground. "Is that a dragon I see on it?"

Kerron grinned, holding the canvas higher to show the bright yellow and black design. "It's a Horned Wyrm, like Arcantis and the Wyrm!"

"That's a fine representin' of it too, Master Kerron. You paint that cher'self?"

"Yes sir. My father gave me the canvas yesterday." He shifted his feet, trying to remain polite but aching to let the dragon loose upon the sky.

"Well you must be looking for the girls, then?" The gardener smiled as the boy before him nodded enthusiastically. He pointed past the gardens. "They left that way just a tick or so ago, you'll prob'ly find them easy." He tipped his hat and turned back to the soil, giving the boy his leave.

"Thank you sir!" Kerron shouted his gratitude as he turned and galloped up the path.

Having just arrived at the manor that afternoon, Kerr had not yet seen his cousins. They were not blood related, but his father and the Marquis had been pledge brothers when they were young and so they visited regularly. Anlai was the oldest, and kind of boring, but Ker was excited to see Typhan, the younger sister. He and Ty were only two years apart. They both liked the old stories and he was sure she would squeal when she saw the dragon kite.

He ran through the garden gate, this time forgetting to close it behind him. The sun was beginning to set behind the orchards, throwing his shadow behind him as he ran past the trees. At the edge of the orchard was the low wall that signaled the end of the main house grounds; beyond that lay the shore. The water would still be warm this far into the fall, perhaps the girls would be swimming.

But as the tree line broke he was surprised to see only one figure sitting on the stones of the wall, a blonde girl of about fourteen wearing a red head covering. He stopped. Disappointed to see only Anlai he began to call out to her when he heard a rising shriek coming from above. Dropping the kite with a start he raised his head in time to see a lavender blur descending upon him. Typhan landed with arms and legs askew, laughing as she pinned him down.

"I'm a witch and I'm going to eat your brains!" She cackled down at him, making claws with her hands. She was wearing a crown of twisted branches and yellow leaves clung to her hair as it tumbled out of her veil.

"If you're a witch then I'm Arcantis!" Kerr squirmed out from under the girl, noting as she stood that she was almost as tall as was he now. Spying a large branch to his left he crawled over to it and stood, brandishing his weapon. "I banish you, foul creature!"

"Oh Kerr, a kite!" She ignored him, spying the framework on the ground. She picked it up and spread the canvas out. "And it's a Wyrm, isn't it? Kerr, can we fly this?"