I - Renewed Conflict

Banemount, England

1844

Jasper Lancechester was nearly at peace with the events of the night, yet there was one more nuisance he couldn't seem to get rid of. Over the years his anger issues have been something he had tried to maintain, especially since his blood could so easily be boiled by the slight slip of one's tongue, and the longer a certain pair of guests remained in his manor, the hotter his temperature grew. It was the night of his twenty-eighth birthday, the same in which the plot of ending the life of his cousin, by marriage, Edmund had been the main course of events for the evening. Of course there were only a select few people who actually knew he'd taken to such a vengeful act. His former house guests Oliver Dollins and Quincy Van Zant, his wife Darcy and her lover Juliette, and last but most certainly not least, the man who had pulled the trigger: Timothy Creel.

Wanting to have a word with the hired man Timothy before he left the premises, Master Jasper was held back by the presence of his own father, Lord Ronald Lancechester, and his wife who was also Jasper's stepmother, Scarlet Lancechester. The two had yet to leave the manor on behalf of a bizarre idea the Master thought his father had, and that was the impression that Jasper wanted him around for longer than the night proclaimed. Yes, the man was Jasper's father, but even with several years having passed by, Jasper could not unhand the deep bitterness he held for the man. After all, what person could ever forgive their parents for abandoning them at such a young age, only to welcome them back at a later date under greedy circumstances? Not Jasper, that's who, but Lord Ronald didn't appear to understand that in the least.

There were still countless hired servants in the manor, all of which were bustling about to make sure it was spotless before they were released from their duty. And that wouldn't be until Ronald was off the property. To find out Jasper and Darcy lived within a manor absent the waiting of butlers and maids, the man was certain to have a few questions to ask. So the men and women would remain as servers to Master Jasper until further notice. He was sure they would be happy with the extra pay.

Watching from the tall archway in the hall, Jasper stared into the day room of his manor. Though it was night out, the large windows displayed the night wonderfully, and the oil lamps lit around the side tables of the white sofa brought a warm lighting to the room. The faint cherry pink walls adorned paintings of floral arrangements and open wilderness, the low table before the chairs and sofa topped with a tray of simple treats such as fruits and biscuits, prettily decorated cups of tea beside them, and Lord Ronald was seated with Lady Scarlett as they spoke cheerfully about the night they'd had together.

Unnoticed by the pair until he cleared his throat, Jasper was finally acknowledged when Ronald looked his way. "There is my son," the man said, rising from his seat on the sofa. He set down the napkin he'd folded in his lap before, but crumbs from his previously eaten biscuits still found their way from his trousers to the floor. With the years having caught up with him by this time, one could tell Ronald Lancechester was beginning to wane. Though he did not show much fragility in his older age, there were lines in his face, and a silver touch to his dark brunette hair. He slouched a little more, and his voice was deepened by an aged gruffness. And Scarlett was not so protected from the winds of time. She, too, held creases in her once porcelain skin, and the vibrant blondness of her hair was becoming faint. However, the woman still fit well into her evening gowns.

Nearing his son, Ronald continued with: "I feel as though I have not spoken to you all night."

Taking an involuntary step back when the man drew closer, Jasper said, "I greeted you upon your arrival, did I not? How did you take the night?"

"Scarlet and I enjoyed ourselves very much, especially when we saw you and your sister getting on quite well. Has Beatrice left us already? With the little one, I'm sure she, her fiancè, and her daughter have left to return to their home." With the mention of it, Jasper had hoped his father would take similar actions and leave as well, but Lord Ronald couldn't detect the muted suggestion.