XVII - Heart of my Heart

Eloise Daloris Lancechester.

Jasper Elijah Lancechester.

Those were the names Darcy had decided upon when giving her and Jasper's children a title, and he'd been more than accepting of them. It was the next day following the birth of the fraternal twins, and even with the lack of sleep on her part due to double breast feedings, Lady Darcy was more than happy to merely have her babies out in the world now. Being a cold one at that, and one she hadn't much faith in, being accompanied by all those she loved dearly made it a mildly better place.

At least on their lands, here in their own little world.

She'd written to her parents first thing in the morning, sure to let them know of the arrival now that the wait was over.

In her arms she held her beautiful little boy, baby Jasper, nurturing him as a mother should while her husband stood across the room with Eloise in his arms. The Master was lulling the girl to sleep with whispered words of affection and paternal promises. Darcy knew of the guilt Jasper was feeling as he held his daughter, for she too had felt it for a split second upon her announcement, and even now she was ashamed for experiencing the slimmest bit of dissatisfaction.

"Jasper, darling," Darcy called to him. "She won't get any sleep if you keep talking to her like that. Why don't you lie her down in the bassinet for the time being?"

"She must know," the Master said, speaking now so the Lady could hear him. "My treasured girl must know I love her just the same."

"And she will, just as baby Jasper will feel the identical love both his parents have for him and his dear sister." When the infant unlatched from her nipple after his feeding, Darcy held him properly and closed the front of her gown. "Come sit, sweet husband."

Listening to his wife, Jasper neared the couch and sat down. They were in the dayroom and the midafternoon light shone in through the massive window behind them. There was a small, empty bassinet before them, and when he touched the soft hand of Eloise, he said, "I wish Broderick was here. Is it selfish of me to have encouraged him to see his family, and now all I wish is for him to return?"

Darcy smiled at the Master, "Not at all. You love him," she said. "It has been quite some time since you two were last separated, so you are not yet used to having him so far for so long. I'm sure he won't be much longer." About to say something more, Darcy lit up when she saw her footman walk by the doorway of the dayroom. "Mister Wade Eynesbury, just the handsome face I wanted to see."

Wade stopped immediately and turned to his Lady and Lordship. He smiled for the recently grown family. "My Lady?"

"Wade, would you be the loveliest man you are and take a trip into the city? You see, Jasper and I were expecting just one wee baby, and here we have been blessed with two. Travel to purchase an extra bassinet, and while you are there, pick up the essentials to build another crib for the nursery. I quite loved the one you put together before."

"At once, my Lady," he said, and he turned to leave.

"Wade, dear?"

"Yes?"

"Be crucially honest with me. Do you enjoy working here?"

Without delay, Wade nodded, "Oh, yes, my Lady. We lowly servants do not talk much, but if there is anything I can say about everyone, it is that we appreciate this household very much. The pay is wonderful, of course, but the environment is far more pleasant than any other manor we all have ever worked for. Since Alexander and I came from the same previous nobleman, this is a nice change of pace."

"Well, then," Darcy smiled pleasantly to the footman, "Jasper and I are happy to have you here for as long as you and Alexander wish to stay. Carry on."

The Master Finale | manxman | (Book Four: The Master Collection)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara