Chapter 11

The Friday of the party, I could hardly pay attention at school. Admittedly, I was probably getting way too excited about it--it was just another high school party after all and I'd already been to tons--but I didn't care. It had been a while since I'd actually gotten drunk, and I needed it, quite frankly. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to Karkat during school, but as soon as I got home I texted him.

DAVE: hey

KARKAT: HI.

DAVE: youre still goin tonight right

KARKAT: YEAH. I'LL PROBABLY BE A LITTLE LATE, THOUGH.

KARKAT: I HAVE SOME STUFF I HAVE TO DO BEFORE THEN.

KARKAT: BUT I MEAN I'LL SHOW UP EVENTUALLY.

DAVE: sweet

KARKAT: ARE YOU STILL DEADSET ON ME "LETTING LOOSE" OR WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU CALLED IT?

DAVE: yes

KARKAT: UGH

KARKAT: WHY? ARE YOU TRYING TO FULFILL SOME KIND OF PRIMITIVE DESIRE TO SEE ME TIPSY?

DAVE: nope not really

DAVE: just curious

DAVE: i mean youre the only one of my friends i havent seen wasted yet

KARKAT: MAYBE YOU NEED BETTER FRIENDS.

DAVE: or maybe i just need to get you drunk

Once Karkat stopped replying, I sent a quick text to John reminding him that he needed to come get me.

DAVE: come get me you whore

JOHN: well if you say it like that i'll just leave you

DAVE: fine

DAVE: *please* come get me since im crippled and cant drive

JOHN: that's better

JOHN: i'll be over in a little bit

I was lying on my bed, flipping through the pictures I'd taken during the last week and waiting for John to text back, when I heard a soft knock at my door. When I looked up, Dirk was leaning against the doorframe.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey. I thought you'd already left."

"Nope. Still here." I tapped the sides of the stack of pictures into order. "All dressed up and nowhere to go."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. I, um-- John's comin' to pick me up. He said he was on his way a couple minutes ago."

"Oh."

A few long seconds of silence stretched out, and I started getting uncomfortable. "Was there... something you wanted?"

"Yeah. I, um, wanted to talk for a second before you left."

"Go ahead."

Dirk looked down, running a hand through his hair. His shoulder cracked softly. "So... I guess... Just-- You know I only get on your case as much as I do because I want to make sure you're doing ok, right? You understand that?"

"Yes," I said flatly. "You always say that."

"I know. I just... want you to know I'm not doing it just to piss you off. I know you don't like talking about that kinda stuff."

"Ok."

More silence. I heard Dirk shift again.

"You're still mad at me," he said after a moment, more like he was telling me rather than asking.