Chapter 12

"I'm not going."

"Karkat, this is not a negotiation," Kankri said from the doorway. "You're going."

Karkat rolled his eyes. "No, I'm not."

"Yes you are. We scheduled the appointment today, so you're going to go." Kankri walked over and grabbed Karkat's wrist, tugging him to his feet. "Now, would you please get your things? We're going to be late."

"I'm not--" Karkat yanked his arm out of Kankri's grip. "I'm not fucking going."

"Language, and I'm not going to tell you again. Get your things," Kankri said sternly.

"I swear to fucking god," Karkat growled, angrily picking up his sweater from his bed. When he walked out into the living room, Kankri was already outside waiting. He cast a cautious glance towards the door before he went over to Cronus's bag and rummaged around until he found his pack of cigarettes. He slipped out and into his pocket and, after hesitating for a bit, took his lighter too. It was the fancy chrome-plated, windproof kind, and was much better and much more expensive than the disposable plastic one he usually used. He didn't particularly need it, but he was pissed off and he wanted to something bad.

"Why the hell would you schedule a fucking therapy appointment when you knew I had something tonight?" Karkat asked when he climbed into the car.

"I told you, I didn't realize they were on the same day until it was too late to reschedule," Kankri replied.

"And what, we couldn't just skip this one?"

"No."

"Nothing's gonna happen if I miss one session. You realize that, right?"

"Yes. I know that. But I also know you, and I don't want this to become a habit of yours."

Karkat rolled his eyes, sighing harshly.

"It's only an hour, Karkat. I'm sure your friends will still be there when you arrive."

"Fuck you," Karkat snapped.

"Language."

"I don't even fucking need to go."

"Would you rather be grounded and not go at all?" Kankri asked, glancing over at him sharply.

Karkat just glared at Kankri. "You can't ground me."

"Yes I can."

"You're not my parent. You're not Dad."

Kankri let out a sharp tight lipped sigh. "No. I'm not. But I am your legal guardian now, and it's my job to discipline you, so if you continue to be difficult you can just go back home afterwards instead of to your party."

"Really?" Karkat asked sarcastically.

"Yes, really."

Karkat sighed loudly, rolling his eyes. He couldn't say anything back though; he did actually want to go to the party.

"Fine," he muttered angrily, pulling out his phone so he could ignore Kankri.

"Thank you. Being so reluctant about it will only make it seem longer anyways."

Karkat ignored him. Dave had just texted him to see where he was. He texted back, saying he was gonna be a little late.

When they finally got to the office, Karkat got out of the car before they had fully stopped and was already halfway across the parking lot by the time Kankri had gotten out and shouted after him.