Chapter Two

"Altivo?" Miguel crept into his dragon's stable, whispering, "Altivo?" There was a crash and the creature in questioned whinnied, coming up to lick him in the face.

"Shh, shh, shh!' Miguel hushed him, glancing back to see Tulio brooding near the exit to the stable. He turned back to the dragon, "Tulio is pouting. Good news, though. We're going on an adventure! Come on." 

"Ready?" Tulio inquired, watching the blond approach him, once again.

"I think so," Miguel grinned, patting the dragon he sat atop.

"Miguel. We can't show up with a dragon," Tulio stated.

"What? Why not?" Miguel questioned.

"Because it's not becoming," Tulio returned, "Altivo? Horse. Now." Altivo stuck his nose up.

"Why you little-" Tulio growled.

"It's okay, Tulio," Miguel insisted, holding up a hand to calm him down. Patting the dragon on the head, he spoke to him, "Altivo? Horse, please." The dragon changed form beneath him and clomped his hooves in obedience. Miguel smiled at Tulio, "See?"

"Hmm," he grumbled, motioning for Miguel to move back and mounting the horse, "Hold on tight. I don't need you falling off into Xibalba." 

Miguel wrapped his arms around the other's waist, resting his head against his back. The golden haired god practically leaped off the horse in glee. Again, Tulio found himself smiling slightly.

------

"We're lost," Miguel groaned, pouting from the back of the horse.

"We're not lost," Tulio insisted, turning the map to look at it at a different angle, "We've just... Strayed a little, that's all."

"We are lost!" Miguel fell to the ground, laying in the mossy undergrowth in anguish.

"Quit your grovelling, will you?" Tulio commanded, "Look. I'll just send on of the citizens to guide us to El Dorado, okay? Not a big deal."

"You're... Going to talk to someone in the city?" Miguel questioned, "The high priest?"

"Oh, hell no," Tulio rejected the idea, "I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. I'll pick someone else."

"Who?" Miguel inquired.

"I don't know," Tulio rolled his eyes, "The first person that catches my eye. Now, get up here." He offered a hand and Miguel took it, climbing back onto Altivo. The two exchanged a moment of unspoken conversation and continued on their path.

------

"The human I sent should be meeting us here," Tulio looked around, stopping Altivo beside a rock. 

"How will we know it's them?" Miguel inquired.

"I had them take a tribute from the temple to prove it," Tulio explained, simply.

"This is going to be great, Tulio," Miguel beamed, his grin stretching from ear to ear, "I can't wait to see all the lives they've created for themselves. I wonder if their temples are all dressed up or simple and elegant. What do you think, Tulio?"

"I think you're a little too excited for your own go-" he was cut off at the sound of shouting and looked to see someone running towards them. They held a bundle in their arms.

"That must be our guide," Tulio gestured, please with coming up with such a great plan.

"Um. How many people did you get?" Miguel asked, staring behind the approaching mortal.

"What? What are you talking abou... Oh," he stared as what looked like and angry mob of warriors chased after their guide. They glanced back and didn't even see where they were going, running right into Altivo and falling to the ground in the process. Now, that they were able to see their guide better, Miguel glared at Tulio.

"The first one that caught your eye, huh?" he raised an eyebrow. A fairly attractive young woman stared up at them, clutching the artifact to herself. 

"Oh, don't do that, Miguel," Tulio turned to him, touching his cheek, "You know that nobody could compare to you." Miguel smiled, but was unable to respond because the angry mob was suddenly in front of them, skidding to a stop. Mouths fell open and the blond rubbed the back of his neck, awkwardly.

"Um... Hey?" he swallowed, eying the pointy spears in concern.

"The gods have returned," one of them said, all of them standing a little straighter. They looked at the rock behind them. A picture was carved into it, looking very  similar to their current positions.

"You will come with us," one of the warriors said. Tulio opened his mouth, as if to object to being told what to do, but Miguel slapped a hand over it before he could.

"Of course," he agreed, "Please... Lead the way." The warriors started towards the entrance to the city, the two gods and their guide stuck between them. 

Passing through a waterfall, the city of gold glistened in the sunlight, casting light in every direction. Miguel's eyes grew wide, taking in every detail he could. Tulio rolled his eyes. He'd seen better.

They stopped before what was presumably their temple's steps. Two men stood on the steps to greet them. One with a triumphant smirk set across his face and the other with a cautious glint in his eye.

"What did I tell you?" the grinning one called to the people that had began to assemble around them, "I predicted that the gods would return! See them for yourself!"

"Well, someone is a cocky human," Miguel whispered to Tulio, causing the latter to chuckle.

"My Lords," the second man addressed them, "We humbly wish to welcome you to El Dorado. What may we call you?"

"My name is- Whoa!" Miguel attempted to dismount their horse, but found himself falling instead. Tulio grabbed the his arm at the last moment. Happy that he wasn't falling to his face in front of the mortals, he gave his partner a grateful smile and, with a confident air, continued, "Miguel."

"And I am Tulio," the other stated, dismounting the horse with no problem and wrapping an arm around Miguel's waist.

"And we are Miguel and Tulio," Miguel added, rather unnecessarily. 

"Well. Lord Miguel and Lord Tulio," the first man said, "We are most honoured to have you."