Chapter Three

"I am the High Priest, Tzekel-Kan, your most loyal servant and speaker for the gods," the first man bowed.

"Yes," Tulio nodded, "We have spoken before." The high priest bowed, respectfully, beaming.

"And I am Cheif Tannabok," the other said, "The leader of El Dorado. If I may, my Lords, why do you come to us now?" Miguel opened his mouth, as if to answer, but he was interrupted before he could begin.

"Fool!" Tzekel-Kan shouted, "You do not question the gods! We could not hope to understand their means!"

"Quite right," Tulio confirmed. Miguel pouted, but kept his mouth shut.

"My lords. What shall we do this with this," he grabbed ahold of the young girl who they'd run into earlier, "Thieving criminal?"

"Release her," Miguel answered, "We had chosen her to guide us to El Dorado. She was only following the bidding of the gods."

"It's the truth!" she said, "My only wish is to... Serve the gods." 

"Girl. What is your name?" Miguel asked, helping her to her feet when she was released.

"Chel, my Lord," she replied, her eyes drifting to the other behind him and smirked in approval. She returned her gaze to Miguel, who smiled at her, innocent to what had just occurred, "And I am your humble servant."

"Now, leave this poor girl alone," Miguel turned to the people, "Or we will be forced to unleash our wrath upon you and you don't want that."

"Oh, but we do!" Tzekel-Kan insisted, harbouring the same look a small child does at Christmas.

"You... Do?" Miguel frowned, confused. Why would the humans want to be punished? It didn't make any sense. Well, he wasn't one to deny the wishes of humanity, but he was unable to cause any kind of catastrophe himself, being a golden god. He turned to his partner, "Tulio?"

"What?" he demanded.

"Can you... Do something exciting?" Miguel asked. Moving closer, he whispered, "But nothing too chaotic, please."

"No," he refused.

"What?" Miguel stared back, disbelieving, "Why not?"

"Because I don't want to," he stuck up his nose.

"Then I'll make you," Miguel informed.

"How do you plan on doing that?" Tulio raised an eyebrow.

"I'll make you angry," came the simple reply.

"You can't make you that angry, you idiot," Tulio laughed.

"Yes I can!" Miguel argued.

"No. You can't."

"Yes! I can!" the blond pulled at Tulio's hair, jutting his bottom lip out in disapproval. 

"Stop that," Tulio growled, "I'm not doing a stupid trick for the humans."

"Then you don't love me," Miguel crossed his arms and turned away.

"That's ridiculous. Of course I do," Tulio rolled his eyes.

"Nope," Miguel said.

"Why don't you do it?"  Tulio hissed.

"Because," Miguel turned to look at him from the corner of his eye, arms still crossed, "You can do the cool stuff. Plus, I made El Dorado last time we were here. It's your turn to impress the humans."

"For the love of-" Tulio pressed his face into his palm, groaning audibly, "Look. If I do it, will you stop acting like a child?"

"I'm not acting like a..." Miguel trailed off at Tulio's look, "Yes."

"Fine," he agreed.

"Yay!" Miguel launched himself into his arms, hugging him tightly. The villagers watched all of this with a hesitant look, trying to follow along. Placing one hand on his partner's back, he lifted the other and closed his eyes. Muttering something in a tongue none of the natives understood. The sunny skies began to cloud over and a light rain began to sprinkle down.

"That's it?" one El Doradoian muttered. Tulio smirked at their naivety. The rain began to pour harder and then the sky began to bend, lightning striking the Earth and setting a forest beyond the city walls aflame. The dark clouds touched the ground and a beast formed, glowing eyes staring at the citizen's many screamed and hid. Tulio opened his eyes, now as black as the night sky, and grinned, wickedly.

"Hey," Miguel spoke up, "That's enough." The sky cleared and the monster vanished. The black faded out of the god's eyes and he looked down at Miguel, slightly disoriented. 

"Well?" Tulio asked.

"That was perfect," Miguel placed a kiss on his cheek before turning back to the high priest, throwing his arms out in dramatic triumph. Tulio rolled his eyes and mimicked the action.

"Bravo! Bravo!" Tzekel-Kan clapped. He offered them the stairs, "Come this way, My Lords. Allow us to show you to your temple." Miguel lit up. They followed him and the chief up the steps. The people had all bowed down around them, most not even daring to peek up as the gods passed above them.

"Remind me never to make you mad," Miguel whispered, using Tulio's shoulder to pull himself up enough to reach his ear.

"Didn't we already establish that you couldn't?" Tulio chuckled.

"Could so!" Miguel hissed.

"I'm afraid not."