12

t w e l v e

wait. what?

Pete doesn't fall asleep then. He doesn't do the rational thing of sleeping his anger off and questioning Mikey in the morning, when he's more level-headed.

No, Pete is a very impulsive person. So he springs to his feet and chases Mikey outside, grabbing him by his sleeve and pulling him back. Mikey flings back- being very light- and Pete pushes him against the wall of the bus, holding him there. He's still only in his pants and socks, and Mikey's eyes flick down to his bare chest momentarily.

"What the hell do you mean by- you don't think it'll work out?" Pete breaths, his face uncomfortably close to Mikey's. The other boy's mouth is slightly open, his lips parted, and he's breathing through his mouth.

"It won't," Mikey whispers. "It can't. I can't do this, Pete."

"Why not?" Pete snaps, shoving Mikey's shoulders so that they hit the bus wall lightly. Mikey flinches.

"Th-this, for one," he stutters. "And I c-can't deal with b-being so res-responsible. Looking af-after you." Then he closes his eyes and turns his head, bracing for the inevitable punch.

But Pete, of course, can't bring himself to do that. Can't hurt Mikey, never. His grip on Mikey's arms loosens and his hands slide down to his sides. Pete takes a step back, the rocks under his feet cutting through his socks.

"I'm sorry," Mikey mumbles, avoiding eye contact.

"No, don't stop there," Pete says steadily. "Tell me what else."

"Th-that's it," Mikey tries.

"No it isn't. Tell me what else."

The younger boy could've walked away right then, but of course he doesn't. "You get angry. Really angry. And it- it scares me. You switch between moods. I know you're bipolar, but-" He shakes his head. "And Patrick's right. The media will find out, and un-unlike my brother, I don't want them to know." Mikey rubs his forearm. "That's all of it. Pete, I'm sorry. I really am."

Pete regards him for a good couple of seconds while Mikey holds his breath. "Okay," he says finally, and Mikey exhales, confused.

"What?"

"I'm not gonna hold you here. You can go. You have a show tomorrow, don't you? Good luck." Pete turns and goes to board the bus.

"But what about you?" Mikey calls out uncertainly.

Pete turns to him, smiles. "I can't say anything. I don't want to scare you." And he walks into the bus, closing the door before Mikey can say anything else.

"Pete? You okay?" Joe asks then, because they're all sitting there still.

The older boy flashes him a smile. "I'm peachy," he grins. "Wonderful."

Everyone's too confused to say anything.

"And 'Trick? I am sorry. Really. I mean it, even if it doesn't sound like I do." Pete is all serious suddenly, his smile vanishing. Patrick nods. "Alright. Glad that's settled. I won't do it again." He nods to everyone else. "Night, guys."