XIII. "i'll bring the cake."

Red borders flanked a ventilation grid that ran the length of the floor as Letha ran down the hallway, her lightsaber gripped tightly in both hands. Needing to catch her breath, she ducked into an alcove that provided at least a nominal amount of cover from anyone moving up or down the passage. Though free of the room again, she had no destination in mind. But this time she would be more careful.

Set down on the snowy surface, two TIE fighters and a troop transport flanked the battered, half-buried disc of the Millennium Falcon. Industrious troops were cautiously concluding their inspection of the ship's interior. Eventually a noncom spoke into his comm unit.

"Ship's clear. No one on board. No antipersonnel traps encountered." Startled by the sudden appearance of a tall, caped figure, the trooper stepped aside and came to attention. "Sir!"

Kylo Ren ignored him as he strode past, his eyes raking every corner of the crashed vessel, looking for—he wasn't sure. Something that might speak to him. Something recognizable, perhaps.

There was nothing in the deserted cockpit, but he delayed leaving anyway, settling down in the pilot's seat. Something...

His deliberation was interrupted by a thunderous roar as squadrons of X-wings dropped from the sky, rocketing toward the hexagon-shaped bulk of the containment field and oscillation control system. Rising from the seat, he rushed out in time to see the Resistance fighters drop toward the massive structure—and begin their bombing runs.

Han eyed Rey intently. "You sure you're up for this?"

"No," Rey told him. "But Letha is here because of me, she followed me into the woods, so taking care of it is my responsibility. I'll find Letha." She said it with so much confidence that Han was inclined to believe the scavenger just might pull it off. Her expression tightened. "I just hope she's alive."

A movement caught Han's attention. Squinting, he broke out into a smile and pointed. "Something tells me she is."

And there she was, rushing down the hallway towards them with her lightsaber in hand. Rey and Finn gaped in astonishment, not quite able to accept what they were seeing. Chewbacca moaned in relief.

It took her a moment, before she recognized the group and lowered the weapon. Her amazement at seeing them was no less than theirs had been when they had spotted her. Running to Rey and Finn, she threw herself into their arms. Neither could hug the other hard enough or long enough. They finally separated, if only to look into each other's eyes.

"Are you all right?" a relieved Finn asked. "What happened?" His voice darkened.

"I'm fine," she said and turned to Rey. "Are you all right?"

Rey nodded.

"What are you doing here?" Letha asked to Finn and he smiled softly. "We came back for you girls."

"I was going to go find you, Letha." Rey said. "I wasn't capable of leaving you."

Letha tried to find something to say to that, something worthy of the sentiment and the risk they had undertaken. She failed miserably.

Chewie, however, had something of his own to add. Whatever the Wookiee had uttered caused tears to well up in Rey's eyes.

"Oh, that's sweet." Letha rubbed Rey's shoulder.

"What'd he say?" Finn asked, unable to understand the Wookie.

Rey sniffed and wiped at her face. "That it was your idea."

It was all very sweet and charming, Han mused as he observed the happy reunion. If only he could forget that they were stuck on a hostile world, in a First Order base, amid squads of roving stormtroopers who were inclined to shoot on sight.

"We'll have a party later," he finally told them. "I'll bring the cake. Right now, let's get outta here."