O N E

"He was bad. He was never good for her. He smoked, he broke the law, he drove too fast for his own good. He didn't care because no one had ever taught him how to. But when it came to her, he couldn't bare the thought of her being hurt. He would kill to protect her - the girl who saw good in him when everyone else had given up - the girl who he would do anything for."

Kelsey's POV

"Have you seen the new guy?" Sofia asked, almost running towards me in excitement.

"Nice to see you too," I said, rolling my eyes as I closed my locker and turned to face her. "And to answer your question - no, I haven't."

"You're in for a treat!" She squealed.

It was the first day back after the summer holidays and this was our first day in our junior year. Only one more year after this and then I would finally be 18 and free to leave.

"Are you even listening to me?" Sofia's voice suddenly said, snapping me back to reality.

"Yeah sorry," I said, a sheepish expression on my face. "What were you saying?"

She rolled her eyes before speaking. "The new guy? I heard that this is his fifth high school so far. He got expelled from his last one because he pulled a knife on some kid. And apparently he's in a gang."

"A gang? Oh really?" I scoffed, holding back a laugh as Sofia nodded her head, deadly serious. She paused for a moment, tilting her head in thought before she spoke.

"I think it was called Black Mafia." She said and both of my eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Black Mafia?" I confirmed and she nodded her head yet again. I'd heard of them. They were apparently the most dangerous and the most wanted gang in the whole of the states.

"Yes, Black Mafia. Is there an echo in here?" She said sarcastically and I chuckled in response, pulling a chocolate bar from my bag and ripping it open. This conversation was getting interesting.

I snapped some of the chocolate off, handing it to Sofia before breaking myself off a peice and waving her on to continue.

"Some people are even saying that he's the leader of the gang." She said and I let out a laugh, taking another bite of the chocolate. Sofia shot me a look before continuing.

"I heard that he sells stuff as well. And not just drugs - guns and knives - and his gang make a ton of money selling the stuff illegally. I even heard that he's killed people." She paused, whispering the last part for dramatic effect.

I stared at her for a few moments before breaking out into fits of laughter. I can't believe that people actually believe this stuff.

Priceless.

"Why are you laughing? It's true!" She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What and you figured this all out in," I checked the time on my phone. "10 minutes?"

She nodded, causing me to let out another laugh.

"People really talk around here, don't they?" I said, laughing as I snapped another piece from the chocolate and put it in my mouth.

I looked up, noticing that Sofia wasn't even paying attention anymore, instead staring at something behind me. I rolled my eyes, waving the bar of chocolate in front of her face to get her attention.

She immediately snapped out of it, her eyes flicking back to meet mine. "Don't look now," she said under her breath. "But he's coming this way?"

"What? Who?" I asked, immediately doing the opposite of what she said and turning around.