Chapter Seven

I woke up repeatedly throughout the night.

I couldn't tell if it was due to my brain's inability to turn itself off or the noises that were coming from outside my window. A winter storm passed by in the early morning hours transporting forceful winds and a foot of snow into the area. Every so often, a bare tree branch would bang against the glass. It eventually ended up looking like a human arm after a few glances, but I didn't know if the hallucination resulted from my widespread imagination or lack of sleep.

As to be expected, my agitation level was extremely high when I gave up trying to sleep for good. Usually, some type of breakfast scent would fill the household at this hour, either by my cooking or Stella's. Neither a sound nor smell came from the kitchen which made me fear the worst.

Stella was gone.

I searched throughout the apartment and sure enough, her things had vanished.

I knew her departure for school was today, yet I hadn't expected her to leave so promptly after our heated argument. It took me by surprise; I didn't know how to react. She hadn't left behind any form of communication explaining herself. It was unusual.

Not impossible, just very unusual given her character.

The next half hour dragged on. I managed to cook a minimal breakfast meal and bore myself with random television episodes I wasn't interested in. Nothing seemed to grasp my attention at the moment.

Solitude was beginning to hit.

Being alone never bothered me, never has since I was a little girl. I actually preferred alone time over nights out often. However, Stella's absence created a void in the home that I just couldn't ignore.

A wave of urgency swarmed my body; it sank into my veins and penetrated my bones. I needed to occupy my focus on some task, some active rhythm that kept me from wallowing in my thoughts. It was the only solution to breaking the assembly line of thinking that had already begun. The number of methods of carrying out said solution were overwhelming. I had too many options, most of them either jeopardized my health or wouldn't satisfy me completely. It took me a moment to scan over everything, but I came to the conclusion that whatever was to ensue had to be fairly perfunctory to grasp my floating attention.

I grabbed all of the envelopes from the mail.

The pile wasn't nearly as large as it was when Stella and I took on the task, but a significant amount of thick, white packages graced the dining room tabletop. A majority of them were bill related, a couple of them coupon sheets, and one of them involved school.

It was a crisp, dark shade of blue.

Immediately, I recognized the familiar packaging. It took a great deal of strength to resist the urge to open it, but I figured that I'd better handle all of the responsibilities I was running away from at some point.

Financially and mentally.

In the midst of being so consumed with paying multiple overdue bills, a wave of built up emotion formed and resided around my midsection area. It was quite random given the circumstances and completely caught me off guard. I wasn't prepared to handle that or the impulsive behavior that followed suit.

I reached for the dark blue letter.

It was yet another inviting letter from the unknown school, but instead of the unidentifiable symbol, a picture of a black and white Chrysanthemum headed the paper.

"Interesting."

My next two decisions were based on pure compulsion. Not a lot of thought went into them. I knew if I stopped for one second to ponder and question what was happening, I'd cease everything instantly.

I didn't know which was worse.

A computer, pen, and paper rested on my upper thighs; the objects barely maintained balance due to the irregularity of my movements.

The school's website was basic, little information was presented about any topic. Only an application link paired with difficult directions were substantial to my cause.

I had no interest in actually applying. At least, I thought I didn't. It wasn't even a consideration in the back of my mind. However, I suppose the mystery aspect of it all kept me engrossed in the process. I wanted to know more and more and that alone sufficed.

For a limited time.

After what seemed like a brief juncture, my attentive energy diffused dramatically. I no longer was focused on the uncertain. No longer oblivious to the consequences of my actions. All of that was replaced with an emotion that only one person would comprehend and allow.

I sent Todd a message.

Todd and I have been connected since junior high. We became close friends early on and accidentally spiraled into something more. The intimate feelings remained well after the monogamous title disappeared, but we eventually reached a unique understanding regarding our relationship. Besides Jayden, Todd knows me better than any 'parent' of mine. He knows what buttons to push to get a certain reaction out of me. He deciphered my personality a long time ago and accepted it wholeheartedly.

One of the few people to do so.

Todd never responded to my message. This occurrence wasn't something that needed to be discussed between us. We both knew the why, what, and when of the situation.

All that was needed was my presence.

I ventured into the frigid, late morning December air dressed as if another blizzard was approaching. The sky was a bleak shade of overcast gray, a sliver of pale yellow beamed through an opening in the clouds creating a dull ray of sunshine. A gust of wind occasionally blew a smell much like that of a brand new car across my nasal passages. Eighteen years of living under this bubble of a city and I still wasn't used to the way the air smelt.

Personally, I'd blame it on the Committee. Others, probably not.

That aura altered when I left the outskirts of Pittsburgh. Todd's residence was located in a rural area just outside of the city boundaries. His distinctive preference to be away from the bubble mirrored mine, but better employment combined with our lingering friendship kept him nearby.

Comforting.

The house itself was positioned between a plethora of tall, barren trees. It was quaint, simple, and clean, much like Todd himself. Deteriorated leaves crunched brutally underneath my brown boots as I reached the opening threshold.

Todd's dark chocolate complexion appeared two knocks later, ivory teeth flashing and caramel eyes glistening. "Hey." His deep, sultry voice trickled into my ear canals, causing an effect that happening every time I heard it.

"Hey."

I entered confidently with a sensual manner about my walk.

The door closed swiftly behind me.

Nothing else mattered after that.

Except for what took place amidst those four walls.