intro || ash

Ashton sat straight up when he heard his mother come into the room. She was still in her uniform, badge looking shiny as usual in the light from the dinning room behind him.

"Did you wait up for me again?" She cooed, walking over to her son. She squatted down to his height and lifted a hand to brush the light curls from his face.

"Gotta be the man of the house while you're gone." Ash mumbled, rubbing fists over his eyes sleepily.

"So I'm the man of the house rest of the time?" She chuckled, standing up and crossing her arms. "You lil' shit, go to bed." She rolled her eyes, grabbing his plate and coffee mug from the table in front of him.

Anne left to go into the kitchen, leaving Ashton to grumble and shove his face back onto the scratchy pillow of the sofa. He could hear his mother making shuffling sounds; turning the tap on and off, the boiling of the kettle, the microwave beeping.

Ashton waited for his mother to return with a big cup of tea and some pasta he made for them at dinner time (almost 5 hours ago)

"Mum?" He spoke quietly, pursing his lips as he looked around the room, trying to find an easy way to bring up the topic.

"No, Ash. No new information on the girls." She sighed, turning on the radio beside her.

"Okay, m'sorry."

"It's okay. Now how about you get off to bed, hm? They're opening the schools again tomorrow."