A New Perspective

"I was three when I first went to South Africa. My excitement knew no bounds! I was going to another country and I was thrilled to know that I was travelling by plane! We were going there because my father got a job offer there. Though South Africa has a multiracial society, my first encounter especially with my Black African neighbors made me nervous as they were quite robust and strong. I used be scared to see that huge black human figure smiling with bright white teeth." Everyone laughed to hear this.

"But slowly their friendly and warm behavior won my heart. My first two years in Kindergarten were hectic as I had to struggle to be peer with African children having strong bodies. I also had great difficulty to speak English and specially to adjust with their accent. I still remember my first few days in playschool when I used to cry with the thought of leaving my mother and at the same time, used to smile to see these 'Tall, Dark and Handsome men' around me crying too."

"So sweet...." said the teacher.
"Gradually I started having good friends. Ntokozo... my first best friend in South Africa! He introduced me to a 'True African Culture' and a proud feeling of being African. He was a smiling boy, also loving, confident and open-minded.
As time went by, I learnt more and more about what Africans are.
One day, we were playing soccer on school ground and one of our friends got badly injured. My friend, Ntokozo, took good care of the injured boy. I was impressed and thanked him, but he smilingly said, "Ubuntu".

I came home with that word ringing in my head. My father saw me thinking about it and told me that 'Ubuntu' means 'We People'. This concept means togetherness and equality."

"My experiences in South Africa gave me many opportunities to realize that we all are children of this Mother Earth and we are equal. My stay there gave me great confidence to socialize with all kind of people as I also believe in Ubuntu like my African friends."

"Mam... my mother told me that if you do not open your heart to understand the world around you, you might let go millions of opportunities to grow."

"Dear friends... all of you gave me so much of pain by teasing me as an African after I shifted back to India... not because I undermine this word but I was hurt to see the discrimination and ignorance in your behavior. You never tried to know what African culture is. Now onwards, when you think of humanity or togetherness, think of Ubuntu. Think of Africa!"

He stopped only to feel that his teacher was patting on his back followed by a huge applaud by his classmates! His eyes were full of tears of gratitude towards his class and also that valuable lesson his life gave him!