January 11, 1963 Cont./ January 14, 1963

January 11, 1963 CONT.

Annabeth had just lit the lantern when she saw Terry coming from the woods. She lifted her head briefly to smile his way, noticing the small blanket that he carried in his hands.

The moment they greeted each other was laced with nervous energy, the two of them unsure as to how they were expected to say their hello's now that they had shared their first kiss.

Annabeth looked down at the ground to where the milk crates used to be and frowned.

"Daddy gave the extras to Mr. Ryker," Annabeth sighed. "Hope you don't mind sitting on the ground."

Terry shrugged his shoulders and took the last few steps toward the wall, sliding down the wood until his bottom hit the dirt. Annabeth followed him with her eyes before she lowered herself to the cold earth beside him.

Terry unfolded the blanket and spread it over both of their legs, scooting himself closer to Annabeth so the fabric would cover them completely.

Terry reached over and picked up Annabeth's hand, turning it over so that it rested palm up in his.

"In New Orleans, there are women who believe they can tell your future by simply looking at your hand," he said as he began to delicately trace the lines in Annabeth's palm. "Have you heard of them? Fortune tellers? Voodoo Queens?"

"Only when Pastor Jameson condemns them in church," she answered meekly.

Trying to find her voice was difficult with Terry softly running his fingers over the inside of her hand. To say that she enjoyed his touch was truly an understatement.

"It's not uncommon for man to crucify that which they don't understand," Terry mused. "I've met voodoo queens of the French Quarter and they're probably some of the most interesting women I've ever met. Their families have been practicing the craft since they were held in captivity as slaves. It's become just as much a way of life for them as running this farm is to your family. They have stories to share that would make your head spin."

"I have no doubt," Annabeth smiled, in awe of all the places Terry had been and the unique experiences he had. "And did they share your fortune with you?"

Terry stopped tracing patterns on her palm and looked up at Annabeth with a sneaky grin. He slid his fingers over her hand completely, locking their fingers together before he placed them underneath the blanket and on his knee.

"It's like blowing out candles on a birthday cake or wishing on a star. If I tell you what she said, maybe it won't come true."

"What did she tell you? Must've been something great if you aren't willing to share and risk it."

"Let's just say, with every rainbow comes a storm."

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows and crunched her nose, curious as to what he meant and what the woman had said.

Terry laughed at her expression and threw their linked hands over her shoulder, pulling her closer to him. Then, he leaned his head down and kissed the top of her head, causing a warmth to spread through her body.

"If I tell you what she said, you must promise not to tell another soul," he whispered, leaning his head on hers, their hands still linked at her shoulder.

"Cross my heart," she replied with a grin.

"Alexandrine Berangere met me in the foyer of her Grandmother's small shop and greeted me by name even though I'd never set my eyes on the woman in my life. She asked me how I was enjoying Louisiana as opposed to Alabama. Then, she offered her condolences on the passing of my brother."