January 29, 1963 pt. 3 / February 2, 1963 pt. 1

"Run away with me."

Annabeth's eyes widened in shock. She loved Terry. But did she love him enough to leave everything she'd ever known and everyone she'd ever cared for behind?

"Terry, I..."

He seemed to notice her hesitance. Terry stopped her words with a gentle pressing of his lips against hers. When he pulled away, Terry wrapped his arms around her waist, keeping their bodies close. Annabeth clutched the back of his jacket in her fingers and he rested his forehead against hers.

"I know it's a lot to ask. I know it would mean giving up everything you've ever known. But I love you. I want you with me. We both know we don't have a chance in Hell here in Audumnly. We can travel together, AB. You can join our organization. You can do and be who you've always wanted to be. And we can be together."

Annabeth sighed and nodded her head just slightly, knowing that he was right. Audumnly, Alabama would always be unforgiving. Annabeth doubted it would ever be okay for the two of them to truly find happiness together there. And yes, she always wanted to become an activist and make a difference, no matter how small.

"It would be different," he continued. "We wouldn't have to meet only in the shadows. We could see the world together. I can't promise you that there won't be issues along the way. It won't always be easy. No kind of life with me will always be easy. There will be plenty of sneers and stares, obstacles that we shouldn't have to face, but will- Especially when we work the Southern states. But, I want you to think about it, Annabeth. Promise me you'll think on it real hard."

"I doubt I'll be able to think of anything else," Annabeth promised with another kiss.

February 2, 1963 pt. 1

"Watching the Popeye Show?" Terry asked his little brother as he walked into the living room.

Jamal looked up at Terry briefly before focusing his eyes back on the show.

"Well, it's Saturday morning, so..." Jamal replied with a roll of his eyes.

Terry reached over and playfully ruffled his brothers head before he settled himself back against the orange corduroy couch and crossed his arms over his chest.

"This show always makes me want a Pepsi and a burger," Terry joked about the over indulgence of sponsors.

"Popeye makes up for it," Jamal smiled. "Cousin Cliff's pretty alright, too."

Terry nodded. He'd been watching Cousin Cliff on Saturday mornings since he was a kid, back when 'The Popeye Show' was 'The Tip Top Clubhouse.'

"Remember that girl I was telling you about?" Terry asked Jamal as another commercial tried to sell their product.

"Mmmhmm," Jamal responded, not really paying much attention to Terry.

"Can I tell you a secret about her?"

"Mmhmm," he repeated, his eyes glued to the start of a black and white cartoon on the small screen.

"She's a white girl."

"Mmm... What?" Jamal asked, finally paying attention. "What'd you just say?"

"That's why it was so hard. Annabeth's white."

Jamal lowered his eyes, no longer interested in the T.V, trying to keep his anger at bay.

"You're not gonna say nothing?" Terry pressed.