Chapter 5

It happened again, everyone had congregated in the living room once again. That man was staying at our house, Sans still wouldn't tell me anything about him. He would make those weird hand signals and Sans would reply with the hand signals, how did Sans even know this strange language of hands?

"SANS, IS THERE SOMETHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO TELL US?" I asked, seeming to pull him out of his daze and back into our dimension.

"Oh, nah. Why?" He said, He was forcing a smile yet again, why was he always so uncomfortable around us, we were his friends, that is not supposed to happen.

"You're still distant, still drifting off when someone talks to you. We just want to help, just let us help-" Undyne was cut off by Sans' eye sockets widening and about a second later he was shooting up and leaping up off his chair, running up the stairs, everyone cautiously looked at each other and decided to follow him. His door was closed and that man's door was open but Sans' door to his room was unlocked, I slowly opened the door a little and saw him take off his beloved hoodie and hanging it up before slipping on, a lab coat? I briefly wondered why before he reached towards his shelf, that shelf had many joke books on it but why would he put on a lab coat to read? He pulled a particular book that I couldn't quite see and I heard a loud noise of something sliding, Sans walked towards where his bookshelf was and disappeared out of sight before I heard another sliding noise. I cautiously opened the door, Sans wasn't there.

"What the, where did he go?" Undyne exclaimed as everyone ran into his room ad started checking everywhere.

"Do you think he teleported?" Alphys asked, I knew he didn't teleport so I spoke up.

"HE DID NOT, EVERYONE START PULLING BOOKS OUT. HE PULLED ONE THEN DISAPPEARED." I exclaimed, everyone started pulling books off the shelf and eventually I yanked one named 'Lab 101' and the bookshelf started to shake, then it slid to one side and revealed a passage way, was this what they were doing yesterday? I wondered as I saw a blue flame, then another, they cascaded down the walls and lit our path and as we walked the ones shut down behind us one by one.

"What... Is this place?" Toriel asked, her normally calm voice quivering in fear, there was a brightly lit room at the end, as we got closer I saw bunches of machinery, odd things kept in glass containers, there was a red human heart in one, something blue in another, and a large machine with tubes and coils coming out of it. There were so many test tubes with various liquids in them, there was one thing I took extreme note of, the giant clock that was slowly content down in red, it said "00d : 09h : 41m : 12s" it was counting down to something that would happen in about nine hours, no wonder he was rushing. But I was no closer to finding my brother, until a few minutes later when I heard grumbling and the noises of chalk on a chalkboard, Sans' head whipped around towards us, the noise of the chalk falling out of his grip onto the cold floor and the soft purr of machines was all that could be heard.

"You shouldn't be here." Sans said with a low growl, his eye firing up a bright blue with smoke emanating from it as his other eye went completely black and lifeless, he looked terrifying and I had a feeling he was trying to look that way. His stance was odd, his hands were in his pockets calmly resting there, but one foot was behind the other and he looked ready to engage anything life had to throw at him.

"Sans, where... What is this place?" Alphys asked, her voice quaking with terror as she hid behind Undyne who looked ready to attack but still looked a little scared because she knew she couldn't win. But out of the shadows came a figure, it was that man. He placed his hand on Sans' shoulder and looked him in the eye, he moved his hands in a sequence but Sans didn't budge. A few moments later Sans moved his hands in a different way, his hands moving quickly. The two were obviously having a dialogue but no one in our group could understand it, suddenly Undyne stepped forward and shouted at him, this could have ended very badly because of all the power that Sans seemed to posses but Undyne let out her anger through her voice anyways.

"Is this what you've been hiding? Your experiments? Why? What are they even for? This place looks like you're preparing for the end of the world!" She yelled, Sans' eye grew brighter and she knew she had made a mistake but she stood her ground, Sans walked away from the man who was desperately moving his hands, he tried to grab Sans but it didn't work. Sans faced Undyne, walking ever so slowly towards his friend, who was now looking more like prey.

"Undyne." Sans growled, his eye flaring as he stood infront of Undyne, no one in the group knew how powerful he actually was, the Gaster blasters could have been easy for him. And soon enough one appeared, it was snarling, it's spear like teeth opening to reveal a powering magic beam, when the energy in it's mouth was at its peak he opened his eye sockets wide no one could do anything to stop the monster.

"I-I'm sorry." Sans said, the terrifying dragon head dissipating into dust as he walked back over to the man I thought to be named Gaster, like Sans attack, maybe this man had taught it to him but I didn't know, I didn't know much about my brother at all.

"What... Sans..." I asked, approaching my brother slowly and cautiously but he held out a hand to push me away.

"Y-You should leave, just pretend like none of this happened. I-I need to get back to work." Sans said, choking on his words as he picked up the piece of chalk and scribbled something on the chalkboard.

"Sans... You know as well as I do that no one is going to forget what just happened." Toriel said, but Sans ignored her efforts to console him and just continued writing.

"But you will forget, that's the problem." Sans admitted softly, everyone raised an eyebrow as he looked at Gaster, the man nodded and my brother sighed, seeming to have to say something.

"You all trust me right?" Sans asked, his legs quivering and quaking most likely from nervousness, the air in the room seemed to chill as the once confident and cool skeleton who made jokes and smiled quaked and dropped his walls to tell the truth.

"Of course." Toriel said, her calm tone returning to comfort the older skeleton.

"Yeah" Undyne said, Alphys nodded but was still hidden slightly behind Undyne.

"Yes." I said, short and sweet as my brother walked over and sighed, taking long breaths as he forced an explanation.

"Then what if I told you that you all have died over a thousand times, that time and space have been forced into a loop and only two humans had the power to... Reset our universe, wiping everyones memories." Sans said, everyone looked a mixture of shocked, scared and in complete disbelief. Gaster did a few hand movements and Sans nodded, Sans looked up at me and smiled.

"I'll translate for Gaster here, he can explain it better than I can." Sans said, so he could understand the weird hand motions?

"Hello, friends of Sans, you look well Papyrus. I doubt you remember me, I am Gaster, you have grown quite a lot." Sans said for Gaster, How did he know my name? Did Sans tell him? I was so conflicted and confused.

"Anyways, I believe that you all are wondering what subject one I mean Sans meant, its quite simple really." He paused, Gaster pointed towards the large clock as I had a vague memory, Subject one and two, but... My thoughts were cut off by Sans voice again.

"Well a long time ago, before the time loop started me and Sans worked together at the core. That was before the accident, I was pulled into a state between dimensions but Sans was able to shut down the core in time to make sure it didn't destroy the underground itself but right before I was sucked in something happened." He paused, my brother worked at the core? That's right under the king though, I was right, I barely knew my own brother. Sans looked at Gaster and started telling his point of view of the story.

"The world had looped, it was unmistakable, the evidence piled up so after the incident I went to the king with this. He couldn't let the word get out, he let me off so that I would be payed to keep my mouth shut unless I came up with a solution then I could tell people and I think I came up with a solution, it took a long time and many cycles where I couldn't tell anyone, not even you Paps, what I was doing. So I adopted my facade of being cool and calm, using my jokes and bad puns do distract people, so by day I was the happy go lucky skeleton making puns and jokes but by night I was in my lab, trying to figure out how to stop the resets." He said, he looked back at Gaster and prompted him to start telling his side of the story.