Back To Life

Harry Potter's hand shook as he wrote across the parchment, his other hand buried in his raven hair. Ron Weasley, his best friend and brother-in-law was standing behind him griping his shoulder tightly, giving Harry support.

"I - I probably won't be back until late," said Harry, speaking for the first time in an hour and handing Ron the letter for his wife. "Give that to Ginny. Go ahead back - I'll handle it..." In truth, Harry thought he might not be able to handle it. That morning Dennis Creevy, Harry's good friend who worked in the Incorperating Spirit Divisions, came into Harry's office (he was Head Auror as of the previous month) with a grim expression and some rather disturbing news.

"You're sure, mate?" Ron looked concerned, and Harry couldn't blame him. "I could come along if you'd like."

"Nah, I've got it," Harry assured him. "Really."

Ron nodded hesitantly, letting go of his shoulder and stepping into the fireplace. "See you later then." With that, Ron was whisked away by the flames.

Harry sighed, picked up a paper that had been laying on his desk and set off down the hall towards the Interrogation Room.

It was the year 2007, and Harry's life couldn't have gotten better after the war. He was happily married as of 2000 to Ginny Weasley - Potter now - and they had three children (four if you count their godson Teddy Lupin, who lived with them); the eldest James Sirius, who was four, then Albus Severus, who had just turned three, and the youngest Lily Luna, who was only seven months old. Teddy was going to be eleven the next month and starting Hogwarts in September. Everything was perfect - Ron and Hermione, his two best friends, were married and had two children, Rose and Hugo, who were the same ages as Al and Lily.

Harry reached the Interrogation Room and opened it slowly. He was scared of what he would see, yet he knew who was sitting there...

The Interrogation Room wasn't a big room - the walls were gray and the tile floor white, in the very middle of the room a table. Three bottles of Veriteserum rested on it. There was nothing in the room that could distract someone - not a window, nothing, so they were forced to answer the questions.

Harry was frozen for a moment as he stood there, the eyes of the three people sitting there at the table lingering on him with surprised expressions.

"H-Harry?!" The woman who spoke had white-as-snow hair, dark eyes, and looked exactly as Tonks had when Harry had last seen her. Except Tonks was dead - she had been for ten years. This was an imposter... they all were imposters...

Harry somehow managed to sit across from the Tonks-Imposter, the Fred-Imposter, and the Remus-Imposter.

"I'm going to ask you some questions," said Harry slowly. "You're going to have to take this Veritserum... Or you can just confess now and save me the trouble."

Fred-Imposer looked appaled. "We didn't do anything! Mate, you know I'm Fred!"

Remus-Imposer and Tonks-Imposter had already took the potion, and Fred-Imposter took it grudgingly.

"Right," said Harry. "We'll start with you." He pointed at Remus-Imposter. "What's your full name?"

"Remus John Lupin," said Remus-Imposter.

"Now you have to tell me something only Remus would know," said Harry, stiffening as he stated his name.

He thought a moment, then said, "When you, Hermione, and Ron disappeared after the wedding and I found you at Grimlaud some weeks later, I -" He licked his lips. "I told you we were making you godfather and I wanted to help you three, and you got mad. You - you told me I was a coward for running away from Dora and Teddy. I'm - I'm sorry, Harry, I shouldn't have even thought of leaving my family, I was so blind -"