Chapter 2: Memories

Kid Flash sat on a stone, peeling the plastic wrapping off a can.  

"M'gann?"  He tried for the 100th time the telepathic link.  No answer.  He threw the can aside and got up.  He scooped up the soil in his hand and crumbled it, letting it fall into the bottomless pit.  

His eyes were wet.   He wanted to go home. Leave this place.  See his little Spitfire once more.

His solitary was getting a hold of him.  One day and he was already insane. 

"Fight it!" He thought. "Fight the roaring pain of loneliness."

He slumped down. "I just don't understand."  He yelled to nothing.  'How am I here?  I'm not fast enough."

The memories swirled in his head.  The closest people to him were gone.

All of them.

Zatanna was gone.  The way she used her, well, magic.  She taught him to believe in magic.

Conner was gone.  He was tough to get to through the hard shell he had, but when Wally did, Superboy was the most heartwarming soul.

Aqualad was gone.  What a strong, brave leader he had become.  

M'gann was gone.  He'd miss her warm laugh and spunky attitude.  She had always been a good friend that you could rely on.  

Nightwing, though he'd always be known as Robin to him, was gone.  His best friend, who he tell all his secrets, his problems, his worries, his hopes to.  He could laugh with him, inspire with him, fight with him, cry in his shoulder.  

His Mom and Dad were gone.  They were always there to support him, despite his foolish ways.  They had sheltered him from his fears, provided the love and affection he needed when his life was grey.  They had taught him to be the person he is today.   All they every gave and loved Wally for, was now trapped in a world of chaos.  He wanted to go back, and let his dad put his chin on his head.  His mom to kiss him.  To shield him from this terrible fate that awaited him.

A soft tear rolled down his cheek.

His Uncle Barry was gone.  The one who always inspired him to run.  And when Kid Flash found he was the Flash, Barry has mentored him to be a hero.  To be strong and to defeat evil.  

And Artemis...

He had no words to describe her.

She was an angel.

Her long, smooth, blond hair behind her. Her deep brown eyes.  

He couldn't bear the thought of being without her.

The way she moved, fought, smiled, laughed, it was all angelic.  She was the center of his life.  The girl he wanted beside her for the rest of his days.  Now, his days were ended.  She would be devastated.  

"I didn't say goodbye, or that I loved her."

She probably moved on by now.  "I was never good enough.  She deserves better than a Kid idiot,"  

Wally scrunched up his face.  "No!  I will not give up."

He felt the world full of memories shift around him.  

"What?" He looked around confused.  

Kid Flash rose into the air and the ground faded.  Flashes of Lights blinked around him and he felt a breeze blow through his hair.  Slowly, his memories filled around him in a vortex.  His eyes glowed and he lost control of his movements.  He felt himself fall into his memories, one by one.

"Your overwhelmed, Freeze was underwhelmed; Why can't anyone just be whelmed?"

"I hacked the motion sensors!"

"That's why I couldn't sense him!"

"Souvenir!"

"I hate monkeys!"

"WHO ARE YOU!"

"Find your own little spitfire, one who won't let you let away with nothing."

"So I'm your ninja boyfriend?"

"Baywatch!"

"Totally doable!   If we had more time."

"One word: Souvenir.  Two words: Gorilla lice."

"Hey that's my souvenir!"

"They're dead. Every single alien if it is the last thing I do!"

"Now Kid!"

"Hey!  Sweet Sixteen!  That's right!  It's my birthday.  I'm so better.   Got my cast off too."

"I should of done this a long time ago."

"Hey, it's past midnight. Happy Valentine's day."

"Hey babe!  Did you miss me?"

"I so want to kiss you right now."

"Do you think it will work?"

"Then how about the 3 of us!"

"Just tell them, okay?"

"Kid?"

"KID!"

Tears fell as he felt his friends.  He reached out to touch them, but they were just fog in his mind and swooshed away.  

"Come back."  He wailed.  He felt so out of his thoughts and character, but he could control his emotions.  

His memories melted away into the same doom he dreaded.  

"I'm the one gone, not them."