Chapter 4: Gotham

The night was still. The busy streets of Gotham finally were quiet after all the hectic of the evening. Now everyone was asleep, even the villains who normally roamed the streets at this time.

From the rooftops of the city, a black figure was watching. Crouched over, he peered at the alley below. Nothing was happening! Not even a mugging or robbery or anything!

He sighed. This was a time where he really needed to find someone to beat up. Shooting out his grappling hook, he swung from building to building, looking for crime. However, he found none.

Eventually, he settled down on top of the Wayne Industries building. As he breathed in the cool night air, his exhale stuck in his throat. He could no longer hold in.

Nightwing cried.

He hadn't cried in the longest time, but he couldn't help it. His best friend. The one who he could depend on. The person he didn't always have to be the strong one with. He was gone. Obliterated by the vortex.

And now he has been so easily forgotten? Replaced? He saved the entire planet; Billions of lives!

As Nightwing wept, a shadow moved behind him. He whipped around, shot up and put up his fists.

"WHO'S THERE!" He shouted, his voice cracking. As he said that, Batman walked out of the shadows.

Nightwing first relaxed his position, but then clenched his fists. "What do you want, Bruce?" He said snidely as he quickly wiped his face with his arm.

Batman gazed at Nightwing. He was a complete mess. His mask was grasped in his hand, his blue eyes stained with red while his hair was matted and uncombed. "Dick,-" He started, slowly walking toward Nightwing.

Nightwing started backing up, but then stopped. He put his hands to his face yet again.

Batman walked up next to Nightwing and put arm around him. Nightwing slowly gave in.

"Dick, you have to move on. The team needs you. The League needs you." Batman said, pulling Nightwing off his feet.

Nightwing looked appalled. "Move on? MOVE ON? If you lost your best friend you wouldn't suddenly MOVE ON! Well, then again you are Batman. Emotionless, Unfeeling Batman!"

Batman sighed. "You know I don't feel that way. Wally was a great kid. He always added such much to the team."

Nightwing just shook his head. "That's your problem, Batman. You don't see him for the person he was, just an addition to the team." He turned away from Batman, letting out a huff. "That will always be the difference between us."

Batman narrowed his eyes. "Dick, letting your sadness consume you is not a healthy thing. Believe me, I know you know what I mean."

Nightwing stiffened. "I'm done with this, Bruce. I need my time to mourn." He said coldly. Batman looked down.

"Fine, but don't say I didn't try to warn you." Batman mumbled. He faded into the shadows, proceeding with his patrol.

Nightwing sighed, then fastened his mask back on, then swung back down to the streets of Gotham. The few people that were out at this time at night stared at him, astonished to see a real superhero this close. However, before he could cause a ruckus, he headed down an alley. Towards the end was an old telephone booth he used as a Zeta tube. He looked back and forth to make sure he wasn't followed, then Zeta'd to the Watch Tower.

"Recognized: Nightwing B-0-1

Nightwing walked out of the Zeta Tube and then headed towards the young justice side of the Watch Tower. He saw Batgirl on duty and tried to sneak past her before she noticed. Even though it had been 3 weeks since he'd seen them, he wasn't willing to charge back into the Team. Suddenly, a Batarang whizzed by him and then stuck into the wall next to him.

Batgirl turned around. "You're kidding, right?"

Nightwing looked away. "Not in the mood, Babs." He said as continued to walk down the hall.

Batgirl walked up next to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "Dick, you know we miss you a lot. The whole team does."

"Well, I miss Wally more!" Nightwing stated. "Besides, you and Aqualad are doing a good job without me. Like I wasn't ever here."

Suddenly, Batgirl slapped Nightwing. "Shut up! Just. Shut. Up! That is not true! Nobody could put as much on table for the team then you, Dick! Don't you see you're doing more harm to yourself than good? Wally is dead! You and Artemis need to get over that! He was obliterated before Barry's eyes! I know you were close to him, but you have a life too! Do you think Wally would really want this?" Batgirl looked up to Nightwing, her eyes dead serious and focused on him.

Nightwing looked at her with a great sorrow in his eyes, hanging his head. "No, he wouldn't want this. You're right..."

However, Nightwing kept walking. Batgirl stayed behind, making no effort to stop him. A deep sorrow filled her eyes and she turned to continue her work.

Nightwing let out his breath as he walked into the Memorial Grotto. He stared at the holographic image of Kid Flash. "He was so young..." Nightwing thought as he walked up to it and knelt down. Flowers from teammates surrounded the hologram. He peered down at a object a the foot of the memorial. It was was small pin with an arrow and a lightning bolt crossed with the word spitfire at the bottom. It was laying against the stone, shining against the cold darkness of space. Nightwing looked away from it, trying not to cry.

However, that did not last long. He took of his mask and stared into Wally's lifeless eyes. "It looks real..." Nightwing mumbled slightly.

He looked down at the pin again and the bent down to pick it up. It was a glossy metal. The lightning bolt was a dark shade of red while the arrow was a dark shade of green. Arrow...!

Artemis! He hadn't seen her for 3 weeks! How could he be so forgetful!

"Shit! I haven't visited her once since-" He stopped himself there. Carefully, he placed back pin back next the memorial.

Then he looked back at Wally, as if to say goodbye. "I'll take care of her, KF. I promise."

Then Nightwing ran to the Zeta tubes and Zeta'd to Palo Alto.

I know I haven't been too consistent on publishing chapters, but I promise I will finish this book by October-ish.  Whenever I can, I will type.  I already have figured out my ending so it should be a lot easier.  Thanks for my dedicated readers!  ~Ravenpaw