Chapter twelve - what the fuck lmao

Frank's entire face was tense as he pressed his phone between his shoulder and his ear, trying to shuffle the essays on his desk out of the way so he could find his emergency cigarettes. "Look—I know it's not really the time, but—"

"Jesus," Jamia said, her voice muffled down the receiver. She sounded ruffled and exhausted, like he'd woken her up. He wasn't surprised. "It's fucking two AM."

"I know, but I really need—"

"If you're drunk and this is some sex thing, I swear to god I'm hanging up right this second." She sounded like she'd dealt with this sort of shit before. Frank shifted his phone on his shoulder, and sat down, guilt weighing him down a little too much.

"It's not, Jams, I'm not that bad anymore. I just need a damn hug or something, I feel fucking sick."

A crackling sound passed down the phone, and Frank guessed that Jamia was probably sitting up. "Slow down, what the fuck's wrong?"

"All my work's so late, and the principal wants me dead, and that's not even the fucking problem, I'm just fucking—"

"Frank. Frank, hold up. I'm, fuck. I can come over if you want?"

Frank started to feel a little bad for taking up Jamia's time now. She'd been hopeless for Daisy for weeks, and he didn't want to get in the way. "Not if Daisy's over, you don't have to. I'm just." Frank rubbed the back of his head and sighed. "I just." He probably just ought to fucking say it. "I just jacked off to a student."

There was a silence, then a brief thud, probably a door closing. Frank didn't have to see Jamia's face to know that she was giving him The Look. That look she'd been giving him since they were kids. 'I don't fucking believe you.'

"I don't fucking believe myself either," Frank muttered. "This is a whole new level of fucked up."

"Talk about fucked up. I'm pretty sure you just broke like six laws."

"Please don't make me feel even worse about this."

"This is practically the worst thing you could have done! I don't wanna be a hardass here, but you kind of deserve it."

"Jams," Frank moaned. "It was just a dream and I was all riled up, he was on the surface of my mind, I didn't mean to." Frank gave Gerard's jacket a kick. "Fucking. Fucking Jesus."

"I'm not sure even fucking Jesus would be worse than this."

Frank made a pained sort of sound, and slouched into his desk chair. "And I can't find my fucking cigarettes. Fuck, I need a walk anyway."

"You need to go to church, motherfucker."

"Right," Frank muttered. "I'll stop off at the local church, confess my sins, then get arrested by the fucking priest. Sounds like a great night out."

"Oh, come off it. Priests can't arrest people. And they definitely can't tell on you."

Frank grunted. "Well, I'm not going back to that place. I'm going to the 7/11, you need any cat food?"

"It's past midnight, you goddamn idiot. And you know Daisy's got me stocked. She works at the pet shop."

"Right, right, old habits. I'll just be. I'll be at the 24 hour convenience, then. Wallowing in guilt."

"You have fun."

"I will. While you're lying cozy in bed with your fucking legal girlfriend."

Frank heard Jamia laughing for a second, and then the phone went quiet, and he stuffed it back into his pocket. At least she was trying to keep things light.