1.

Dysfunctional

No one saw Sakura for a week.

When Yamanaka Ino finally visited the Slug Sannin's twelve-year-old apprentice, she found the Haruno holed up in her near empty apartment with her head buried in ten tonnes of history.

She picked up the thinnest looking book there was and examined the title before placing it back down and shooting a frown at her best friend.

"Founders of Konoha, Konoha Founding Fathers, Legendary Senju, are you for real, Sak'ra?" Ino scowled, placing one hand on her hip.

Sakura held up one hand in a gesture for Ino to be quiet for a moment, causing the blonde to grind her teeth in irritation. Ino hated being ignored, she was especially impatient whenever Sakura made a dismissive hand movement to tell her to shut up, and stamped her foot hard. Sakura jumped, startled by the sudden loud noise, and then shook her head clear. She looked up at Ino.

"Oh. Ino," she said, rubbing one tired eye. "Hi."

There was silence, and Ino blinked at her incredulously.

"Hi? That's all I get after a week of not hearing from you?" she scolded, eyes narrowing into accusing slits. "Everyone's been wondering where you've been! And shouldn't you be in hospital?"

Sakura gave Ino a blank stare and after a few second ticked by with the Yamanaka's patience wearing thin, she eventually got off the couch and wandered to the kitchen. "Green tea?" she offered.

Ino pressed her lips into a thin line and ground her teeth together. "What's with that? Usually you're out of your mind stressed over Naruto and Sasuke until they get out of hospital!" Sakura paused. "I mean, you look stressed. You're tense. Kami, you look like you haven't slept for a month!" Ino studied her face and came to a realisation. "Don't tell me...Sakura, what's going on? Are you okay?"

Sakura poured hot water into two separate cups and stirred the mixture. The Yamanaka were too good for her own sake. Try as she might but it was hard to get a single thing past Ino. Her clan specialised in the human mind and behaviour, Ino's father was training her in how to read a person whether it be by their facial expressions or change in habit. She was determined to make a name for herself - the top interrogator the world had ever seen. Flower arranging and collecting gossip weren't the only things Ino was capable of.

"What's with the history lesson, too?"

Sakura picked up the cups of tea and gave a lopsided smile. "Thought I'd do some light reading."

Ino didn't say anything for a long while before she let out a sigh. Light reading wouldn't exactly be a lie. Ino knew more than anyone that Sakura was like a sponge. Anything she learnt, she'd soak up into the brain of hers and utilize it to her own strengths.

With that ability, she'd learnt more than just how to heal a few scraps and bust a wall down with her bare hands while under the tutelage of Senju Tsunade.

However, Ino thought it a bit suspicious that Sakura was suddenly so interested in the history of Konoha, considering they'd already briefly went over it in the academy. Sighing, she decided she wouldn't press anymore, she'd learn what she wanted to know another time.

"Well, everyone's missed you. Naruto and Sasuke are supposed to be discharged today," she said.

"Oh I know," replied Sakura casually. When Ino eyed her warily, she frowned. "You don't think I'd leave them unprotected, do you?"

Ino spotted the stack of protection seals on the Haruno's desk and shook her head, chuckling to herself. It was borderline unhealthy how protective Sakura was of her team, maybe even a little obsessive.