3

Konoha 9

Kurenai noted how Sakura didn't even flinch when she skinned three rabbits and proceeded to roast them over the fire. The Haruno barely batted a single eyelash as she gutted them and skewered them on a stick, one for each of her hungry teammates.

Kiba clamped a hand over his nose, the thick smell of metallic blood stinging his sharp nose. "Gross," he muttered, scrunching up his face.

Kurenai offered a sympathetic smile.

Kiba never was good with things like this. Sometimes, he hated his unnatural keen sense of smell. The scent of the raw flesh made him want to retch last night's meal out all over the ground.

Gagging slightly, he rose to his feet and trotted further away as a means of escaping the putrid aroma. He plopped down against a tree next to Shino and heaved a sigh of relief when the air tasted a little fresher.

The makeshift campsite they'd fashioned wasn't exactly the best, but it had to do with their large numbers. The team leaders had said that their current setup shouldn't matter - no one would attack such a large group anyway. But there were always exceptions.

Team Gai had decided on cocooning themselves in the trees. It wasn't necessary, but it was convenient so Tenten, Neji and Lee all spread themselves out to separate branches - near, but not near enough for physical contact. Neji took the first hour.

Below, Team Kurenai slept on the ground, alongside Team Kakashi. They'd rationed out their supply of food - which wasn't close enough to what Kiba needed to satisfy his appetite - and slumped up against the thick base of a tree.

The nearest civilian village was at least another day away, so they had to be careful. Sakura had the right idea to preserve what they currently had and use other sources, but watching her prepare it - Kiba would rather sit through the discomfort of being hungry.

"Uchiha," Neji's voice sliced through the silence. His white eyes narrowed at Sasuke who'd merely laid back.

Sasuke scowled. "Hyuga," he replied back, mockingly.

Kiba's sharp eyes flicked between the two, feeling the growing tension as they glared at one another. Kiba would have to be an idiot to not know what this was about.

"Neji-nii," came an exhausted sigh from Hinata who was sat on the other side of Shino. Judging from her deep breathing, Kiba could tell she was near falling asleep. She was tired - everyone was. "Leave Sasu-chan alone, ne."

Neji didn't speak a word of protest. Kiba imagined Sasuke's expression was one of smugness. It was common knowledge that Hinata's cousin and the Uchiha weren't on good terms. Something about what happened back in the academy. Kiba didn't like to think about it - it was honestly stupid.

A familiar smell of herbal seasoning wafted into the Inuzuka's nose. He shot upright immediately and caught sight of a small container in Sakura's hands. Kurenai also eyed the cooked rabbit that suddenly looked extremely appetizing.

"Naruto," the Haruno whispered, nudging Naruto awake. He mumbled incoherently and squinted up at her. She offered him something to eat but he was too tired - figured - and rolled over, burying his face into her knees.

Kiba's stomach grumbled loudly.

Sakura's lips twitched upwards. He tried to play it off by leaning further into the tree. It didn't help. Sakura could see everything.

"If you want it, you can have Naruto's share," she insisted, reaching over at him. Kiba wouldn't refuse a free meal. "It's not as good as BBQ but it'll do."