What Is Real?

"From now on, all decisions will go through me. As King and as your father."

My mouth drops open. He is pulling this on me now? After his lies? I so wish Mom was here. She would totally put her hand on his arm and help him take a time out. I try to channel her wisdom and bite my tongue so as not to ream my own dad out. Because I suspect that I have yelled at the King more today than anyone has ever. Dad has a sort of solemn earnestness that people generally cow to, or at least behave around.

When I don't answer, Dad's eyes widen. I am not sure if he takes it as encouragement to continue or if it fuels his ire.

"I barely know this boy!" he exclaims.

Neither do I, I think to myself.

But out loud I say, "Whose fault is that?" in a quiet, controlled voice.

Dad glares at me. I should probably be worried about his heart. But who put me on the auction block in the first place? Him. He can deal with the results.

"It will be a long engagement," he says like a threat. "Long."

I start to shake my head but he plows onward with his ridiculous dictates.

"We'll make it an elaborate wedding, with Camille and Ahren here. That will explain the long preparation and engagement time. Two years? That might work. We could make the wedding a television special, since people will feel slighted for not getting more Selection episodes. It'll be something for all of Illea to look forward to."

I don't think what Illea needs can be found in television. But I have more personal points to make in this discussion, before my own life is planned out from under me.

"Dad, I did the Selection to pick a guy. That was the supposed point. I did it. Now that I have decided on Ean, I want to make it real. I'm getting married next month."

"I'm thinking two years," he says calmly, like my words didn't register.

"Dad, this is real."

"If it's real, then a long engagement is more real time to get to know each other."

"I don't want more time! I want this done!" I blurt out.

"That does not sound like a real blushing bride. Why? What's your hurry?"

I bite my lip and let my thoughts fly out without consideration.

"Because it's a project unfished on my desk and I hate that. You know it. If this was you you'd be itching to tie the knot too."

His face twists. "For different reasons."

"Well, I'm human, too! How do you think I feel dating all those boys and now having to wait for a relationship?"

"Being engaged is a relationship. Look how long Ahren waited, and he would've waited much longer...what is this really about? You can't replace Ahren."

"I know that! That's offensive! I so wish Mom were here."

"So do I."

At the exact same time, we both say, "You should have told me," in a similarly petulant tone. Then we falter into silence.

"You made a huge mistake announcing your future husband to the country before confiding in your mother. You are her only daughter and she is so sentimental. She wasn't even in the castle. She had to watch you on television like the rest of the country. Your own mother. Not to mention the speculation now, everyone will wonder where she was and if she is okay, just what she was avoiding." Dad deflates somewhat. "They love her so much."