Chapter 7

Marinette...

'Hey, Marinette,' came Adrien's voice and I looked up sharply from my physics text book to the blonde boy peering up through my trap door.

I hastily threw my book aside. 'Hi, Adrien,' I said somewhat breathlessly. He came into the room and sat on a chair, swivelling it around so it came closer to me. I smiled at him as he turned to me.

For some reason, he began laughing and I became very self consious. Did I have something on my face? Something between my teeth?! I burned red and backed away slightly.

'You have flour on your nose, Mari...' he chuckled, before swiftly wiping away the grains with one finger. I froze under his electric touch and tried my best not to make the situation awkward.

'Y-yeah, I was helping Maman finish a baking order,' I murmured, rubbing furiously at my nose in case some flour remained.

'It must be great living above a bakery, free food and chocolate making,' Adrien sighed, sniffing the air.

'It's not too bad... until all your clothes begin smelling of cookies,' I said wryly, pulling out my notebook. 'Anyway, we should work - I need to order the fabrics.'

'Yeah, me too - though I have no idea how much to get,' Adrien said, getting out his own black notebook.

'So I guess we should measure each other,' I thought out loud and immediately blushed. Adrien... measure... me?

'Sure. Have you got a tape measurer?' he asked, agreeing vehemently.

Five minutes later, Adrien was standing in the middle of my room with his jacket off and his arms up. I had never really noticed his muscular build, but now it was all my eyes drew to. The slightly tight T-shirt did nothing to help and maybe even emphasized them. Blushing, I tore my eyes away and walked towards him.

A slightly musky and minty scent overwhelmed me as I stood inches away from him. It was an intoxicating smell but I held my breath and advanced, tape measurer in hand.

First, measuring his torso length, then his waist, chest and shoulders. My bare hand would occaisonally brush against his cotton clad skin and I would glance up at him and see my embarrassment reflected on his face. This is so awkward! I wanted to run away from him and embrace at the same time. Before I really embarrassed myself, I hastily measured and jotted down numbers with shaky hands.

'Now... your turn,' Adrien smiled crookedly, taking the tape measurer from my loose grasp. Nodding silently, I took off my jacket and stood like Adrien did as he flipped through the pages of his notebook. With a pencil on his ear, his jacket off and a faint flush on his cheeks, Adrien was less composed then I usually saw him as.

I grudgingly moved my focus from his body to outside the window as I heard him approach me. 'Arms up, Marinette,' he whispered and I gulped before lifting my arms like he had done.

He gently measured my arms, careful not to touch me. Being a novice at dress making, Adrien took much longer than I did measuring. He measured my torso length and awkwardly snaked his arms aroud my waist to measure them. My breath caught as he held me like that for a while, squinting at the numbers on the tape measurer with flushed cheeks.

It got really awkward when he measured my chest and neck and though he did this part very very hastily, I couldn't help but burn red.

'S-so, now that's all done,' he said quickly, moving swiftly away from me. 'What do we do?'

'Continue working, I guess. If you need help, just call,' I sighed breathlessly, throwing myself onto my bed and hiding behind my notebook.

For a while, we worked quietly with our jackets still off, occasionally helping one another make decisions, though we kept the main idea of our designs secret. I had been designing a sleek, slightly tight tuxedo with a matching hat. The colour themes... red and black. I had noticed the way Adrien's eyes sparked up when he had said 'Ladybug', so I was following that idea

'Oh, Mari?' he asked after a while, peering over the top of his notebook at me. 'Mmm?' I murmured back, shading in the leather parts of the tuxedo design.

'I have to leave in about half an hour, Chloe's throwing a...' he began, looking at me then paused. I looked up and his eyes were wide, as if an idea just dawned on him.

'Heey, Marinette?!' His eyes were bright and a new, brighter tone entered his voice. 'Chloe's throwing a party at her house - please don't make me go alone.'

I jumped in surprised. A party? Uh...

'Sorry, Adrien, but partying isn't really my forte,' I chuckled nervously, retreating behind my notebook. He was silent and I thought he might have given up the topic. I sighed in a relief before my notebook was plucked out of my hands and Adrien's persistant face appeared close to me. 'Please?' he breathed, looking pained.

I leaned back slightly, pushing back Adrien with one finger. 'No no no, no. I am NOT going to Chloe's stupid party.'

I crossed my arms stubbornly as Adrien crawled closer. I pushed myself back until my back hit my headboard and he had shuffled along on my bed. I felt small butterflies in my stomach but put all my focus into being stubborn.

'Look, a friend should help another friend, right? Don't make me go alone, Mari,' he pleaded in the waning light of the sun. His begging expression twisted my heart and his pout raised my pulse.

'Fine,' I sighed after a long silence of staring. I looked away, dejected. 'But I'm bringing Alya along,' I stated as he grinned at me. Ruffling my hair slightly, he jumped to his feet and pulled on his jacket. 'I'll pick you and Alya up at 7 then?'

'Sure...'

With a small wink and a wide smile, Adrien disappeared down my trap door and I was left with the shadow of his scent and a notebook in my hands.

Oh, God. I lightly slapped my notebook on to my forehead. What have I gotten myself into?

~~