chapter one | twizzlers

author's note: this is my story for nanowrimo! i'm really hoping to finish this, haha. anywho, enjoy.

chapter one | twizzlers

I didn't even realize that dentists had groupies, but my mom certainly had a knack for teeth cleaners. She was a former lipstick model. So having flawless teeth was a necessity if you desired to make it in the world of fashion and cosmetics unless you wanted to be the before picture of a surgery/toothpaste/whitening/braces commercial. Before her pearly whites were plastered on Maybelline posters on bus stops, she was a child starlet. She played Penelope Sharp-sassy, spoiled, and six years old.

"Doesn't that look delicious?" Eunice warbled, saliva dribbling down her chin.

I winced and disapprovingly shook my head at my food-loving best friend. "It's loaded with sugar. It's a cavity waiting to happen."

Eunice rolled her eyes and a guttural noise came from the depths of her throat. "You don't always have to think about your teeth, Flossy. Just concentrate on the explosion of flavor in your mouth. In this case, it's chocolate."

"I do too pay attention to flavor!"

"The flavor of toothpaste and floss doesn't count."

"Drat."

"Try something other than mint. You'll love it. I'll even settle for mint chocolate chip."

"The chocolate chips ruin it. I wish most places sold smooth mint. It makes me feel fresher!"

Eunice ignored me to order her triple-chocolate-fudge doughnut. It was slathered in chocolate fudge and topped with milk chocolate curls. It was her usual order at the bakery on Clouds Street. After her "snack," or what I liked to call an "attack," she ordered a scoop of chocolate ice cream. In case you hadn't noticed, chocolate was her all-time favorite food in the world.

"Can I get you anything?" the employee asked.

I took one look at the glass showcase and shook my head. They all looked sticky and I couldn't put my teeth through that kind of torture even if it did look ridiculously easy for Eunice.

"Are you sure?" He was being stubborn.

"I'm sure."

"Can I interest you in a drink?" I didn't understand why he was pushing his goods on me. It's not like he got paid by the number of items he sold and there wasn't much competition for the oh-so-treasured Christmas bonus that was months away. It was only June.

"I'm all right."

It didn't occur to me that Eunice had gone to sit her butt by the window and that I simply could've just walked away. Instead, I remained at the counter like the bumbling idiot I was, insisting I didn't need anything.

"Then could you move? You're holding up the line."

I looked behind me and saw no one. "There is no line."

"Well, there might be if you wouldn't be blocking the merchandise," he snapped.

"I'm not blocking anything but your ungrateful-"

"Flossy!" Eunice sang loudly. "I am in need of your assistance over here!"

I glared at him, grabbed a handful of napkins, and stalked over to my tone-deaf friend. I plopped into the chair across from her. "What do you need now?"

"I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Carl over there."

"His name is Carl?"

"Oh, don't be such a priss. His name is far more common than yours. Anyways, what was I saying?"