chapter six | cotton candy

I was hesitant to tell Eunice anything about Owen for the following reasons:

1. He was a God and she would want him.

2. If she wanted him, she would get him somehow.

3. I had no chance against her because she played dirty and had experience.

4. She would make fun of me.

5. She would want me to actually do something about this infatuation instead of what I wanted, which was to admire him from afar and sometimes up close.

I couldn't keep the secret any longer (it had been a total of twelve hours, which was, like, a total record in girl-history). I called her, and I couldn't say I was surprised about her reaction.

"Describe him to me!"

I did.

"He sounds totally perfect. You have to send me a picture of him."

"I'm not going to send you a picture of him, Eunice. That would require taking a picture of him, which sounds sort of stalkerish."

"Do you know if he's on any social networking sites?"

"Why would I know?"

"I don't know. It's what girls do. Just send me one, okay?"

"No! You can come to rehearsal with me one day and see for yourself."

"Okay. But I call him."

"What? No! You can't do that! It's against some sort of code you told me about, remember?"

"But it's not like you're actually going to do anything," Eunice reasoned. "You have your dental career to think of. Isn't that your ultimate goal in life? Why risk it for a silly boy?"

"What about you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your ultimate goal in life. What is it?"

Eunice laughed. "You already know it, Flossy. It's to find true love."

I suppose I did know that, but I so badly wanted it to be something else. It was a good enough goal, but I wished her aspirations and expectations in life to be so much higher. She had the potential. Now she just needed to release it. My philosophy in life was that love would come when it wanted to. She needed to stop searching for it. Maybe then she would find it.

I sighed despairingly. "Oh, Eunice..."

"I know you don't agree with it," Eunice whispered quietly, almost sadly. "But it's all I want out of life."

As she said those words, I felt my heart breaking for her. She was more passionate about her dream than I was about mine. She chased hers almost every day of her life. The difference between her and I was that mine was more materialistic and hers was not. Hers was a simple human desire that I couldn't and probably wouldn't ever understand. Hers went beyond skindeep like my infatuation for Owen.

"Eunice..." With those words, she left me speechless.

"I really admire you, Flossy. You're independent and you don't need anyone. I'm not like that. I need people, specifically someone I can share my life with."

"You can share it with me..." I had no idea what to say other than that.

I could picture her face--a sad, wistful smile pasted on where her chocolate covered teeth should be. I imagined she'd be stuffing her face with Hershey's and Cadbury's and Dove after our phone call ended.