chapter twelve | whipped cream

writer's block is present in this chapter. :P

chapter twelve | whipped cream

All I could hear were the sirens blaring around me. The unpalatable shrills engulfed me into a dizzy trance, one of which I could not escape. The flashing red lights were so mesmerizing. They brought nothing but unhappiness to me. They signalled danger, anguish, and only dismal things to come. The lights and the shrieks slowly faded away from my senses.

    “Do you need a ride home?”

    I turned around. Owen was standing there, his blank face showing signs of pity. “I don’t know,” I replied. “I have to call my dad.”

    “Do you need a phone?”

    I shook my head. I felt numb inside. “I have one.”

    “Are you going to call him?”

    I looked down at my hand. Reaching him was only a click away. “Right.”

    I made no move to press the icon on my screen.

    “Do you want me to call him for you?” Owen offered.

    I shook my head once more. “I should be the one to do it.”

    “Okay.” With that, he turned his back on me and disappeared through the door.

My screen locked itself, forcing me to enter my passcode to unlock it. Robotically, I did. I pressed “call,” mashed the phone against my ear, and listened to the dial tone until I heard a voice. It was Yolanda who answered.

“Flossy’s, how can I help you?”

“Yolanda? Is my dad there?”

“Flossy?”

“Yes. Can you put my dad on the line?”

“He’s with a patient right now. Can I take a message?”

    I didn’t have the time to wait for Dad to finish. “No. It’s an emergency.”

    Silence. “All right. Hold on.”

    My dad’s voice. “Flossy, what’s wrong?”

    “It’s Mom. I need you to pick me up and go to the hospital.”

    “What happened?”   

    “Can we just talk about this later? It’s urgent.”

    “I’m on my way.”

    The line was dead.

    He arrived at the theater in no time, but the traffic was crazy. Dad’s face was scrunched and knitted with concern. “What happened, Flossy?”

    “I don’t really know all of the details, but I do know she fell off the catwalk and hurt her arms.”

    Dad looked dumbly at me. “What exactly is a catwalk?”

    “It’s the platform above the stage where all the lights are.”

    Dad’s eyes bugged out. “She fell off of that?”

    “Apparently. I heard it from Andrew, the director.”

    “I guess we’ll find out when we arrive at the hospital, yeah?”

    Once traffic subsided, we got to the hospital within ten minutes. Haphazardly, he parked and we darted into the building. “Emmeline Waldroup, please,” Dad said urgently at the lady in the lobby.