Prologue

Third POV

If there was one thing that Cassius Keen knows how to do, is to run. No, he's not a coward. He would never leave his friends or family behind just for his well being. He would rather get shot a thousand times, just to give a starving human a granola bar.

He runs because it is the best for everybody. He runs because he can't dwell on the idea of causing more pain to the people close to him. He runs because he cares.

It all began with the day he was born. Cassius knew he was different than the other kids, the other human beings around him. His name didn't help him at all to fit with the people he wanted to get along with. As much as he loves his mother with all his heart and soul, he just can't grasp the idea why she pinned her fanatic love of Roman mythology on himself.

Nonetheless, Cassius couldn't ask for a better mother. He couldn't think of anyone raising him except his own mother. His mother was there for him when he catches the cold as a little kid, running her tired hands through his hair and feeding him chicken noodle soup. She would kiss all his scraped-knees or cuts that would cause him to cry his eyes out. She was there for him for every nightmare that made him wake himself awake by screaming his heart out, cradling him in her arms, and singing him a lullaby back to sleep.

His father, he was a strong man. Cassius idolized him, wanting to become the man his father grew up to be. His father would always tease him that he was a mama's boy, taking him out at the back of their farm in England and playing rugby. His father, is the reason why Cassius yearns to be such a caring person. Cassius was told that he looked just like his father. Same smile. Same curly, black hair. Same nose. Same ears and lips. He even has his dimples when he smiles. His eyes however, bright hazel eyes that always seemed to be changing colors between a light brown, green, blue, or even a golden color, Cassius received that from his mother.

These two wonderful people, were somehow cursed to bear a son, himself. He felt such a disappointment, knowing that his parents deserve better than dealing with his 'disorder'.

It first showed up, on his first year in school. Cassius was ready to leave the farm work and actually learn. It all happened so quickly for Cassius, that it was just a blur for him. One second, he was eating his mother homemade chocolate chip cookies, and the next thing he knew, some of the older kids snatched the snack right out of his chubby little hands. Cassius cried for them to give it back, stomping his little feet, but they wouldn't listen. They just laughed and ate the snack right in front of him.

Cassius has never felt so much rage in his entire life. It was like something flipped inside of him. He could feel the anger boiling in his blood, his heart hammering in fury through his ribs. This searing hot heat started to appear on his chest, spreading all over his body until he could feel the sensation on the tip of his fingers and toes. His vision went red.

All that he could remember was people screaming out in fear, a roar passing by his ears before everything went black.

The next day, Cassius found himself in the hospital, with guards outside his hospital room. Apparently, his school caught on fire, burning the building until it was turned coal-black. Luckily, no one was severely injured, just a few minor burns. Unfortunately, Cassius was in the middle during the flames and all fingers point that it was his doing.

There wasn't enough evidence to prove him not guilty. His parents very well knew that Cassius didn't cause this on purpose but it didn't help the guilt that was eating him up. He could have severely injured someone and it would have been all his fault.

Ever since that incident, people would stay far away from him as possible. And the people who didn't, they would tease him and break him down, close to the breaking point. Cassius didn't know why he could create a flicker of flame with just the snap of his fingers or to watch out for his anger, so bad things won't happen. He didn't understand why this had to happen to him.