6 - Show and Tell

‘She shows me everything she used to know, picture frames and country roads.’ 

Walking into the kitchen I was met by Susan and my mother sitting, cups of coffee in hand while in full flowing conversation. “Oh good morning hun, sleep okay?” My mother asked as I walked past heading for the kettle which was in need of a serious refill in water before I could conjure up my tea. 

“Yeah, what about you? How’s the mattress?” I asked, fumbling around in the cupboards to find the fruit and fibre bread. Popping two slices into the toaster I quickly filled up the kettle and flicked the switch. “Anyone for tea?” 

“Much better, I should of switched it sooner. No thank you darling we’ve got coffee.” My mum smiled while Susan happily said no thank you and went back into conversation. I had little interest but they seemed to be jumping from certain topics from local news to local gossip to something that was even more pointless. 

Collecting my tea and toast I sat at the other end of the kitchen table laying the ipad out in front of me to browse through the apps. 

“Oh, Allie wanted me to tell you she had a blast at the fair with you and Sawyer yesterday. Usually she complains when one of Sawyers friends tags along. It’s nice not hearing complaints every once and a while.”  Susan said, while my mum raised an eyebrow. I hadn’t mentioned the outing thinking nothing of it. I’d planned to tell the whole scenario to Quinn instead. 

“You went to the fair?” My mother asked, a small worried look came onto her face as if she was dying to leap and ask if I was okay, if everything went fine, seeing as I had avoided leaving my room yesterday since I arrived back. 

“Yeah, um, I didn’t think you’d of minded me going. I was going to stay home but, Allie wanted me to tag along.” I said dragging the sentence out as I thought over what I was saying. 

“Oh, I didn’t mean to mention it to get her in trouble, I thought you were aware. I’m sorry Willow, Julie.” 

“Oh no I don’t mind her going. Did you have fun?” My mum asked, turning to face me now. 

“Yeah, we got doughnuts and went on rides it was good. Excuse me,” I said replying to her question, but excusing myself before I had anymore questions thrown at me. There was no doubt my mother would attempt to find out if that was really the truth or not, seeing as I left with a small, almost fake smile. 

It was true I had had fun, but I’d also had a humiliating experience. An eighteen year old girl with anxiety that she thought was going away, that’s what I thought I was. Maybe I should tell Sawyer that I couldn’t do the trip with him. If I did, I knew he’d ask why, why the change of heart and I’d have to tell him. Maybe telling him would be a good idea. 

*

A light knock sounded from the other side of the door, no doubt my mother. However, to my amazement the door didn’t swing open all I heard was Sawyer’s voice asking me, “is it okay for me to come in?” 

I sat silently for a brief two minutes before responding, “Sure it’s open.” The door began to open slowly, before he poked his head in with a small smile on his face. He hadn’t bothered to do his hair by the looks of things. Instead it lay flat, silly looking on his head.