Before: Invisible Chains

In this chapter: Aden and his adoptive dad

I often wondered... if others had a person that they look at... and suddenly feel chains wrapping around their feet, their hands... their neck. 

From one basic stare, from simply their presence, from the way they move, the memories that paralyze you, the awful, awful memories, that with a person who was the reason behind them, just standing there, you feel chained, locked, weak to the bone, and unable to make a single decision for yourself.

I grabbed my bag and quickly shoved a shirt, pants, toothbrush, toothpaste, underwear and socks inside. Making my way to the door, I realized I forgot a towel. Payne had little siblings and their shit is usually on their towels.

After I stuffed the bag with the largest towel I had laying around, I made my way to the door, wanting to get out of here as soon as I can, before he comes back.

"Your mom is not here tonight Aden?"

I look up, and by the door there he was. The big D.

"I don't know." I answer. I lie.

He notices. He notices from the way I avoid his gaze. From the way I swallow my dry throat.

He sighs. "Where the fuck does she go?"

"I don't know."

He stares at me. He stares hard.

"When is she coming back? And if you say 'I don't know' one more fucking time..."

Silence.

I looked down at my shoes, calculating. The odds. The evens. The pain. Everything. And at the end, I lose.

"She said she's not going to be coming tonight. She's got an overnight shift."

Silence.

"I'll go heat the leftovers. She has them in the fridge..."

I didn't want to look  up. I didn't want to see. I didn't want to feel.

But I looked up.

His sullen face from the news that mom wasn't here was rock hard, and then, like a flash, a smile so wicked it would terrify anyone tugged at the edge of his lips.

He walked up to me, slow steps that made my legs feel weak, my chest hurt from breathing mechanically. Then all the sudden, a punch across the face had me blinking black spots.

"Why the hell did you lie to me? Who the fuck do you think you are to lie to me?"

"S-sorry."

He began pacing in the middle of the living room floor. "You and your fucking mom are the worst mistake I made in my life. I should have never taken your fucking ass in. She should have stayed on the streets, sucking dick for money while you almost died freezing in the car. I should have never felt bad for her. Fuck you both. You're lucky I'm even letting you live here now."

Another sucker punch. Right across the face.

I don't want to live here. I hate living here. If the ceiling fan was able to hold my weight, I would have been dead a long time ago. But mom will never see my point of view, and I'll never tell her. I mean I can't. If I do, he'll throw her out. He was right about one thing, she definitely didn't have another place to stay in.

"Forget dinner you fucking wanker. Go wait for me in your bedroom."

"I have a school project. Payne is waiting for me." Fear. Fear. Endless fear eats me alive.

He didn't say a word. He looked over at me, the smile gone, his eyes sharp like the tip of a sword.

Quietly, I drop the bag where I stood and walk to the bedroom. And wait for him.

In fear.

In confusion.

With shackles around my decisions. My clear thinking. My mind.

I know what to do, but I don't. And its the only way I could explain it.

"Your mom is a fucking whore, you know? I bet you she's back to her old habits. I swear if I know of it, I'll fucking kick the shit out of both of you. The last thing I need is an STD. She probably will get killed one day, just wait and you'll hear me say I told you so."

I fucking hate him. I don't hate. I don't like to hate. But I fucking hate him with my deepest thoughts, ideas and rage.

A plan suddenly came to me.

I walked to the laptop.

I shouldn't have, I know. I shouldn't have even thought of the idea, but maybe. Just maybe.

I walked to the laptop and opened the screen. I put on the camera, and pressed record. This will comfortably record for an hour before it saves then turn off.

Why? Because this isn't my laptop, its moms. When she comes into my room tomorrow, she'll take it and then she'll see it. She'll think it was recorded by accident. She'll find out what's happening. She's smart enough to not say anything, but at least she won't leave me alone here anymore.

I began taking my clothes off.

Wishing I could take a run for it.

From him, and his fucking toys.

Who do you think should play as Aden?

Follow me on Instagram @joprbooks. I post future sneak peeks!

Amazing Cover in this chapter is by writingxdaises