Before: Angel In Disguise

In this Chapter: Jayden (New Character? Yes) and 'Her'

Earlier that day...

Jayden sat on the steps of the apartment building. He was enjoying the little heat that comes and goes from the sun rays. It was nearly winter and he knew he was going to miss it the moment the weather drops to 60 degrees.

He was waiting. He always waited for her. She would walk up the road, bag on her shoulder. With his eyes, he'd estimate that it weighed a ton from the way her shoulder slouched. What bothered him most was that her face could barely be seen. Her hair fell around it like black waterfalls. And when little of it is completely revealed, it was always edgy, as if she held the weight of the world (maybe literally, with that bag) on top of her. 

And when she gets close enough, an expression so mystifying, its nearly unbelievable that one like it existed, would suddenly be visible. The first time Jayden saw her had him wonder who she was for months.

And that's why he sat here like this, waiting. He'd lie and tell Cade that he'd hang around and get the mail, but it was her, her expression. Every time he'd see her, he had seconds to try and figure out what it was. What it meant. He would contemplate over and over again what type of person it defines her to be.

Some girls have a snarky expression, with a raised eyebrow.

Some have a sweet one, where their eyes smile too.

But hers?

He had yet to see one like it.

She finally arrived. Today, she looked a bit off, like something happened. She walked quickly towards the building, and like always, she avoided all eye contact.

A big grin spread across his face, and his chest swelled.

He watched her walk in, her body crouched like she had a stomach ache. Like she wanted to vanish into nothing.

But her face...

Her facial expression read something different today. Happiness...?

It must be because her sister is coming today. She gets happy whenever the older girl that looks like her is around.

Jayden's eyebrows pulled together as he searched more into her expression.

No. It wasn't happiness. It was relief. Just relief.

Wait, no.

Is it? 

Frustrated, he ruffles his hair and lets out a long breath from between his lips.

She disappeared behind the doors and he sighed, wondering when he'll figure it out.

Cade would have done it. Maybe Jayden should finally tell him about her.

He stood up, finally at peace. Even though he'd never have the guts to speak to her, not with that expression, he would love to see what her voice sounds like. What her mind could make in thoughts and opinions. What emotion a girl like her would give out.

To a person like him.

His phone rang. The word 'Mayor' popped on his caller ID.

He silenced the ringer and texted Cade.

I'll be back tonight. Dinner is made. :)

Some questions to be answered:

1) The girl's name is NOT revealed yet. 

2) Five character's have been introduced so far ('Her', Corrina, Aden, Harley, and now Jayden)

3) Yes, current chapters are labeled as 'Before' because this is all happening before the building collapsed. It will then change to "The Collapse: etc". 

4) In case you didn't notice, nearly every character that's been introduced, by the end of their 'part' it is nearly night time. That specific time that the chapter ends with is specifically the same day/night for all of the characters. (Confusing huh?) You'll get it, I promise. I just wanted to emphasize on it now.

5) And last thing, I meant for the confusion in the previous chapter. I know you guys were like "Dude, wtf just happened? Why, how, huh? O_O" It's okay. Remember. I'm Jo XD Confusion is my lock, and the big F U, WTF, ARE YOU SERIOUS, plot twists are the key. :D <3

Follow me on Instagram, I post chapter sneak peeks before they are posted here @joprbooks