Chapter Two

To April ( princess_a_31 ) - A fellow Alien. From you, I've learned to trust my guts. Thank you for having my back and sharing my voice with others ❤ (Even though you pushed my off the stage during gym so I could play soccer) ❤

It's Saturday, which means no Classes today or tomorrow. I watch as mom makes breakfast, and Kayli reads a book. Suddenly, the door opens and dad is standing, his hair wild and his brown eyes filled with worry. Behind him are two Diamond Guards which I can tell by the symbol on their sleeves- a diamond with a long ribbon around it, written in the ribbon, All for the better, better for all. Yeah right.

"Abbey." Dad barely whispers. The guards gesture for me to come outside. When I do, the morning breeze almost comforts my bare arms. The door closes, and we're all outside: the guards, dad, and me. "Am I in trouble?" I say scanning the guards' faces. They just chuckle. "No, Abbey Taylors. You have received an... early choosing. Royal Family orders. But instead of choosing, the King and Queen have done so for you." I feel numb.

This isn't good. If the Royals chose, who knows what can happen? "You must move to the Diamond Division, leaving your family behind, earning higher wages, and coming here once a month and only, that. You have been given a special room in the Castle, which if you try to escape from, you will be punished by death."

I gulp before glancing at dad. He's gone pale, and he concentrates on the floor. "Immediately?" I breathe. "In a few minutes. You can have some words from your family and friends before we take off. We'll be waiting in the train." One of the guards points to the train that I haven't noticed yet. "Okay. Thank you." I hear myself mumble. There is nothing to thank them for. They have delivered a terrible message to you. You have to leave now, why are you thanking them? My mind is screaming. The guards both nod curtly and disappear into the train like robots. Just like me. I am following what I am told. I'm ashamed, but at least I'm not dead.

"Abbey, I'm sorry." I move my gaze to dad. "You out of all people are sorry? Father, there's no reason for you to be this way." Dad shakes his head. "No, you don't understand! I was at work and i made a mistake - a horrible one - and I didn't save the Diamond's life. The Royal Family said this is my punishment. I'm so sorry this had to happen, Abbey. It isn't your fault at all!" I look away. "They shouldn't have given you a Diamond patient. But dad, the past is gone now. Let's not waste time."

He nods and we both go in. "I'm leaving." I blurt out. Mom and Kayli both come and grab me into a hug. I see dad alone. "Please, dad." I say. He comes over and wraps his arm around all of us. "Things will be better. I'm coming back as much as they limit me to. But I'll miss all of you so much..." Tears slide down my cheeks and Kayli wipes them away. "We all love you, and we all will miss you too. Just don't get into trouble. Be polite, respectful, and do whatever you are told, Abbey." My anger burns. "Fine. If this means you'll all stay safe, I'll listen to their moaning and groaning about everything." Mom chuckles and kisses me on my forehead. "Stay safe, Abbey." I nod.

************************************************************************

I'm in front of Cal's house knocking on the door. I'm about to knock again when the door opens and Cal comes out hugging me. "I saw you from outside. You're leaving, aren't you?" I nod and stare into his eyes. Those eyes that I won't see every day now. "Come in." I do and he leads me to his room closing the door behind us. He envelopes me into another hug and I sigh. "I'll see you once a month, Cal. But that's not enough." I say into his chest. "I wish you could stay, Abbey. I'll miss you so much." He pulls away and he leans his face closer into mine. I feel the warmth of his lips travel from my forehead to my lips. "I love you. Don't give your heart away to anyone. You're mine, and I'm keeping it that way." I grin and push his chest away. "I promise, you're mine and I won't give my heart to anyone else. I love you too, Cal. But don't give your heart to anyone either."

He frowns, his eyes darkening. "I'd never think of it." Suddenly I hear a knock from downstairs. "It's the guards. I have to go." Cal groans and we make our way to the door. He opens it and the guards lead me out. I give Cal a sad smile. "I'm coming back. Don't forget me." He nods and gives me a quick kiss on my cheek before the guards make me go into the train. I sit in the front with the guards on the seat right behind me. I wave to my family, Cal, my home, and everything. And I watch as it all leaves right before my eyes.