•2

An aching feeling wrapped around my chest as I felt a dull pull on my heartstrings. I could no longer feel the cool air in my trachea; I could not even breathe. I choked on a cough and continued to gag in his arms. My little body shook against his in desperation and warning in contrast to my mind. My mind was a calm sea, nudging my soul to quickly leave this place so I do not have to suffer and battle my illness again. All I want...is to take my last breath and escape my misery.

My only company seem to have noticed my unease because I could feel his muscles tense again. A loud thud was hear and he immediately laid me onto the cold hard ground as he lightly tap my shoulders.

"Hey! Hey!"

In other circumstances, I would have been pleased to die; but I was curious about this man, I kind of do not wish to leave this world so quickly. Especially when his voice soothes me. I grabbed his hand as I hyperventilated for air, I tugged it and tried my best to utter a simple word.

"P-P-Po..ck...et-t.."

He understood my request and reached for the pocket on my ankle length skirt. The sound of plastic was dull as I felt my consciousness slowly fading and my pain became a little numb by the second. He opened my mouth and threw two pills inside. Using what little energy and control I have left, I swallowed it and let the darkness envelope me as the medication kick in to save my pathetic soul.

••

When I became aware of my surrounding again, his scent was still there. My fragile body is still laid onto the concrete floor with a large sized jacket covering my cold body. I knew the jacket belong to him, his scent was strong, very strong and comforting. I pressed my palm onto the floor and pushed my body up, letting the jacket drop onto my lap and my upper body was greeted by the cold again.

I felt a pair of eyes studying my movements and I kept my face ahead of me.

"Where..am I?" My voice cracked half way.

"An abandoned building." He replied monotonously, but I could hear something else behind his voice. He was hesitating to tell me something.

The fact that I am in an abandoned building reasons the fall I experienced awhile ago which triggered my illness because my heart could not hold such intensity. Many of the abandoned buildings have cracks which results to holes from small to big. There are even unfinished buildings left just like that, occupying the space.

I debated with myself if I should pester him to continue saying what he has in mind, but I was afraid I will appear to be somebody annoying. For years I have distant myself from everybody, it made me am introvert and I have lost the capability to communicate again. With a mental sigh, I lifted a strand of hair on the side of my face and tucked it behind my right ear.

"What is your name..?" I finally questioned, telling myself he will tell me when the time comes or when he wants to.

"Ayato."

"That's a..nice name." A small smile grazed my lips as I said so. "I'm Hisako."

Silence once again found its way to greet us. I relaxed and listened to the droplets of water drip from what I assumed is the remaining raindrops from the heavy rain a few days ago. The sound echoed throughout the building, filling in the silence we both share, but I chose to break it to fulfil my curiosities.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked while facing upwards where the warmth greets my eyelids.

I heard a shuffling sound a few feet from me and felt his cold hand reach mine and pulled me up. My free hand grabbed his jacket to avoid it from dropping onto the ground. The hand which he was holding by the wrist, a familiar material was felt and I let my lips stretch to form a thankful smile.

He got me my walking stick.

"I do not favour in letting other people see me." He muttered in reply to my question.

"Thank you for my stick, Ayato-san." I lifted my other hand which a jacket hung. "Here."

Ayato took it from my hand and draped it over my small shoulders. I gave him a puzzled look, but he did not say anything so I remained quiet. A part of me was afraid to say much in fear that the little relationship we have now will perish. I still wish to meet him more and get to know him.

Something about him..draws me.

"What was that just now?" He asked out of the blue.

"Pardon?"

"When you seem to have trouble breathing. And the pills, what are those?"

I remained unspoken because it is not something I am proud to simply speak of, but I did not want to ruin the thin strand of bond that we have now. If he wants to know, then I deserve to know something about him too.

"If I answer you this question, promise me you'll answer mine?" I suggested.

He did not answer, but I had a feeling he agrees to it. Ayato probably nodded, but forgotten that I have no power to see through my eyelids.

I took a deep breathe and give out a soft sigh before uttering,"It's.. It's to stabilise my heartbeat, an illness I have gotten since birth."

"The life of a human is so fragile." He quietly said after awhile.

"Yeah, indeed." I nodded in agreement.

It is a fact that we are fragile beings, open to all sorts of dangers; especially ghouls since we are their source food, a necessity for them to survive just like how we humans need plants and animals to survive as our source of food. Those two too are living things. Humans are not the top of the food chain anymore, but the ghouls. However, it is sad how ghouls must hunt in the dark. It is just not fair. Maybe some of them are a little overboard, but we have no right to complain if humans over-hunt as well. They are as good as us and we are as bad as them.

In all honesty, humans are much more cruel than ghouls. Well, that is my thoughts.

"Ayato, who are you?" I asked to fulfil our compensation.

He seemed to be taken aback by my question because I could hear him take a sudden deep breath.

"Are you...a ghoul..?"

🍁🍂🍁🍂

10 votes and 5 comments for next update? 😝

I'm sorry, I'm just really busy and stressed with all the things I have in hand so.. Yeah.. I don't have much time to update and it often slips my mind. So if you're reading this and it has already passed 10 votes and 5 comments, do let me know so I can publish the next chapter. :)

If you hate this kind of thing, well I'm sorry. I don't mean to get 10 votes, it's more like a guideline for me? Plus, I'd like to hear opinions from all of you. :)

~Jojo

Published: August 2016